Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

Need help installing Honeywell timer switch in place of dual single pole switch

Old 01-25-14, 07:08 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I currently have a leviton dual single pole switch that is used to turn 2 separate lights on. It controls the outside front door lights on one button and the second button controls the lights outside the garage. I want to remove that and put a honeywell timer switch so that both lights can be controlled using the same timer switch.

I need help with the wiring because on the leviton it has A1, B1 Common and Common. On the honeywell timer switch it has Load, Line, 3 way and Ground. When i remove the leviton switch I need to know which wire will go where on the timer switch.

Thank You very much.

Old 01-26-14, 01:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You would take the wires from A1 and B1, combine them together and connect them to the load.
The wire from the common connection goes to the line.
The 3 way terminal remains un-used
The ground wire gets connected to the ground wire in the box

Old 01-29-14, 06:37 PM
R
I also had another question. I have another timer switch that requires a ground and neutral . I only have the copper ground wire in the box. I can not seem to find the neutral wire. Can the neutral wire coming from the switch connect to the ground wire in the box?
Without connecting the neutral wire the timer switch will not work properly. Is there a way I can tell which one is the neutral wire by looking at all the wires?

Thank You.

Old 01-29-14, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
No..... you can't use the ground as neutral for that timer.

What color wires are in the box and what color wires are on the switch ?

There are timers available that don't require a neutral.

Old 01-29-14, 10:23 PM
R
The honeywell timer has a blue, black and white wire. This box that i am trying to install the switch in has 4 switches. I am trying to change 2 of them to the timer. In the box there are 4 white wires joined together with the wire nut. To the switch there is a red wire and a black wire. The bare copper wire which is the ground is also there. I did install a timer but the screen flickers now and then. I am using the timer with LED and CFL lights. Can the white wires that are joined together be the neutral?
Should I attach a picture of whats inside the box . Will that help?

Thanks

Old 01-30-14, 07:04 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Can the white wires that are joined together be the neutral?
Yes, if you have two or more whites connected only to each other and power comes to the switch box first the whites are always the neutral.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: