How do I connect ceiling fan to wires in ceiling?

Old 01-26-14, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I connect ceiling fan to wires in ceiling?

Hi everyone!

I'm pretty new to electricity and wiring. I recently bought a ceiling fan with light, and I am trying to connect the wires from that to the wires from the ceiling box.

My ceiling has the following wires coming from it:
-Red wire
-White wire
-Yellow wire
-Copper/brown ground wire

My fan has the following wires coming from it:
-Blue wire
-White wire
-Black wire
-Green grounding from fan
-Green grounding from fan mount

I was wondering how to connect the wires. I know this much so far:
-Red and Blue have to go together
-White and White have to go together
-All three grounding wires (copper/brown, green, and green wires)

Are these correct so far?

I'm unsure whether I connect the yellow and black together. This is because usually I would think that there would be a black wire coming from the ceiling as well. How do I connect these?

Also, there is only one switch for the fan and light.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-14, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 519 Votes on 489 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Have you confirmed that you have a fan rated ceiling box in place ?

You have three wires there for power...... red, yellow and white.

We can be fairly certain that the white is neutral. You would need a voltage tester or meter to see which wire(s) have power on them.

The red wire could be switched and connecting that to the blue wire will allow the light to be controlled from the wall.

Yellow could be always live and connecting that to the fan black would allow you to control the fan by the pull chain or remote.

You would connect the blue and black wires together if you want the fan and light both controlled from the wall switch. The green wires go to the bare wire in the box.

Old 01-26-14, 10:47 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is this conduit? Cable has no yellow wire. If conduit yellow may be the switched power. Red is almost always switched power. Was there nothing there before?
-Red and Blue have to go together
Sometimes yes some times no. If you have two switched conductors or one switched and one unswitched conductor they may be separate. So it may be black to yellow and blue to red or black to red and blue to yellow.

Note though I am a bit puzzled by the bare wire in the box. Is it connected to a ground screw in the box? Normally you won't have a bare ground in conduit. Are the wires you mentioned the only wires in the box?

Old 01-26-14, 06:39 PM
Hello again,

Thanks for both of your responses! The electrical box from my ceiling is rated for a ceiling fan.

Here is what we have so far:
-White goes to white for sure
-Brown/copper goes to green grounding from fan and mount

Here is what I am still confused about:
-should we connect black to red and blue to yellow? or black to yellow and blue to red?
-There is going to be only one switch for the entire fan/light combo. I have one switch dedicated to this electrical box on my wall. But, my fan has a separate cord from it to turn the light on and off.

I have attached a picture of how it is right now. Please advise me on how to attach the yellow, red, black, and blue wires. Thanks in advance!

Attached Images  
Old 01-26-14, 07:13 PM
More wires in the picture then you told us about. The other wires are significant because the fact you have two whites together and two reds together suggest the the red is a constant hot and the yellow is a switched hot. You haven't said yes if it is conduit or cable. We also need a picture with the bracket off so we can see whats in the box.

Name:  IMG_1946.jpg
Views: 9066
Size:  19.1 KB

Old 01-26-14, 07:57 PM
Sorry, I didn't know that the double wires were significant because they only have one tip at the end. Anyways, there is nothing inside the box. The wires just come from a pipe on the side of the box. Also, what is the difference between a conduit or cable? I searched on the internet but couldn't find a clear explanation!

Old 01-26-14, 09:10 PM
The wires just come from a pipe on the side of the box. Also, what is the difference between a conduit or cable?
Mainly it is the color of the wires. We have a lot of people who say yellow wire but it is cable so we know it is a discolored white wire not yellow. You did not mention a black wire. If it was cable we would be asking about the missing black wire but conduit may not have a black..

With conduit (pipe as you called it) the yellow is normally an actual yellow wire and in residential single phase is usually used as a switched hot. So if you want the fan on a switch it should probably be on the white and yellow wire. This can be verified by looking at the switch and seeing if there is a yellow on it.

they only have one tip at the end
That isn't a tip. It is a wire nut that electrically connects the two wires. That tells us one is power in and the other is power out. Very different from a single wire that is only power in and goes nowhere else.

Old 01-26-14, 10:31 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Here is what I am still confused about:
-should we connect black to red and blue to yellow? or black to yellow and blue to red?
-There is going to be only one switch for the entire fan/light combo. I have one switch dedicated to this electrical box on my wall. But, my fan has a separate cord from it to turn the light on and off.
Tell us about all wires, all switches and all connections in the wall box. Also tell us how you want everything to work when you're done.

Old 01-26-14, 11:19 PM
-There is going to be only one switch for the entire fan/light combo.
Logic is your friend. Assuming a check of the switch wiring proves me correct as I have said the red wires are not switched and the yellow wire is switched. If you want both fan and light switched they would go to the switched conductor. Not the two unswitched, red, wires.

Old 01-28-14, 09:50 AM
Hi all,

Thanks to everyone that has been assisting me in this process. Here is more information:

The ceiling box:
-There are four wires coming from the ceiling: yellow, double red, double white, and a brown/copper colored one.

The fan motor:
-There are four wires coming from it: blue, white, black, and green/ground.

The switch for the fan:
-There are double reds, a yellow, and a brown one.

There is only going to be one switch for both the fan and its light. The fan comes with a light that can be turned on and off by a small cord hanging from the fan.

There are pictures attached. Please let me know if you need anything else.
Thank you!

Attached Images     
Old 01-28-14, 11:13 AM
Name:  IMG_1953.jpg
Views: 8436
Size:  32.8 KB

Old 01-28-14, 12:26 PM
The brown wire on the switch appears to be a current-carrying conductor.

There is only going to be one switch for both the fan and its light. The fan comes with a light that can be turned on and off by a small cord hanging from the fan.
Unless you're going to always set the fan to "High" before switching it off at the wall, or never turn the wall switch off except to do work on the ceiling wiring, you need to install a dual control there. The fan motor needs to have full power every time it starts.

Old 01-28-14, 03:57 PM
Nash's eyes are better then mine. He spotted a brown wire.You have written several times, "a brown/copper colored one." Which is it. Is it a bare wire or is it an insulated brown wire. From your description I was thinking bare ground though that makes no sense with conduit.

Old 01-28-14, 06:09 PM
Hi everyone,

I just realized that it is a brown wire. And, I tested with a voltage tester and there is an electrical current in it.

All the wires coming from my ceiling have an electrical current to them (my voltage meter lights up for all of them).

So, how should I attach the red, yellow, and brown wires to the fan's blue and black? Since white goes to white and grounding goes to grounding on fan mount.

Old 01-28-14, 06:35 PM
All the wires coming from my ceiling have an electrical current to them (my voltage meter lights up for all of them).
A voltage meter doesn't light up. It provides numerical measurements. And no, the wires in your ceiling box don't all have ungrounded potential on them.

To determine which wires to use for each function, you need to do two things. One is to use a multimeter - preferably an analog one - to determine which wires have power at all times and which have power only when the switch is on. The other is to decide how you want to control each function. Remember that controlling your fan motor with an on/off switch is not a viable option.