Is my bathroom exhaust fan a fire hazard? HELP!

Old 01-26-14, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Is my bathroom exhaust fan a fire hazard? HELP!

Hi everyone,

My bathroom fan started taking like 20 seconds to start turning, so I took it down. I removed all the dust and such and it started turning more easily, but the next day it slowed down again. I took it down again and put a bit of 3 in 1 oil at the bottom of the shaft where it goes into the motor. Worked better but the next day it slowed down again. Today I put more oil and let it sit on its back for about 15 minutes to let the oil go down the shaft a bit. I also used component cleaner on the shaft and also in the motor a bit where the parts move.

I ran it for 90 minutes today on the counter and noticed that the motor is too hot to hold. I can hold it for one second, so its not scorching, but its a bit hot. I never checked the temperature before, so I am not sure if my application of the oil is the cause of the heat.

Can adding oil to a ceiling fan motor cause it to become more hot?

Should I be worried?

I will try it tomorrow to see if it runs. If it runs I might keep it, depending on your opinions. If it does not work, I will likely replace it.

Any guidance is appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-14, 05:02 PM
Received 119 Votes on 109 Posts
The fan blade moving air over the motor should keep i t cool enough for normal running. Besides it most likely has a thermal over load fuse in it. If after lubricating and it runs smooth then I think your safe to go.

Old 01-26-14, 05:18 PM
Thank you for the reply! I appreciate it. I don't think there is much air moving near the motor though... air shoots out directly into an open vent.

Old 01-26-14, 05:25 PM
The fan blade should be running directly off the motor shaft. Any and all air has to flow over the motor. When you are testing it are the blades attached? If not you'll burnout the motor.

Old 01-26-14, 05:43 PM
The fan blades are running off the motor shaft, but there is a housing that separates the blades from the motor. In essence, they are quite blocked off.

I was testing it with blades attached, yes. I ran it for maybe 5-10 minutes without blades before that though, which I hope is ok...

Old 01-26-14, 05:51 PM
If its a squirrel cage fan then yes it won't blow over the motor. If its a propeller style then it will. But at any rate, if if seems to be running smoothly you're OK.