Help identifying this plumbing piece

Old 01-27-14, 05:44 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help identifying this plumbing piece

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the forums so sorry if I'm slow on the uptake, I just need help identifying this plumbing piece. It's a piece of piping that looks like a compression fitting to me. However it looks like it's been cut in half and has a female thread to thread into. If anyone could tell me of something like this, or show me a compression fitting I could do this to it would be a massive help. I've looked EVERYWHERE. Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 01-27-14, 06:04 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What's on the end of that rod?

Old 01-27-14, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Looks like something for the electrical industry....I say this because of the Nut... The Tee and pipe are plumbing material...

I will add a link to electrical...

Old 01-27-14, 06:07 PM
S
Thank you, I appreciate that. It is actually an electrical fixture, but it's made mainly out of plumbing parts. Was unsure as to which forum to post it in.

Old 01-27-14, 06:15 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If you already knew that it was an electrical fixture, why didn't you say that?

Old 01-27-14, 06:20 PM
S
I'm sorry, I honestly didn't think it'd matter. Like I said the whole structure is made of galvanized pipe. I.E. I assumed this would be as well. Again, to me it looks like a compression fitting that has been cut in half, and had a female thread put into the back to be threaded onto a pipe. However, I'd like to see if anyone can tell me whether or not it really is home-made, or if I can find a piece already like this.

Old 01-27-14, 06:40 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It is actually an electrical fixture, but it's made mainly out of plumbing parts.
Given that, and assuming it's a lighting fixture, I'll move your thread to our Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans forum.

While I'm doing that, it will help us focus our advise if you'll answer the earlier question:
Originally Posted by Pulpo
What's on the end of that rod?

Old 01-27-14, 06:50 PM
T
I don't think moving it to electrical is going to help him any. That does not look like any electrical fitting that I've ever seen.

He is trying to identify the plumbing part that was used to make whatever that is. Maybe to duplicate the design of the fixture? Regardless of his off-label use of it, he needs to hear from plumbing people in order to to identify a plumbing part, not electrical people.

Plumbing was the right place for this thread to be.

Old 01-27-14, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Galvanized Male Compression Adapter... Looks like this.

Old 01-27-14, 07:38 PM
S
I've seen that piece before Sleeper, but the problem is the end of that is male. Are you saying you think it was cut off, and a female inner thread was machined in? Also, I agree with Taz420, I think having the thread in both plumbing and electrical at first was the best option.

Old 01-27-14, 09:52 PM
The piece in your photos looks like a variation on the one that XSleeper posted. Perhaps it's the same thing, only by a different manufacturer.

Now, why do you need to know? What is your goal? And what is on the end of that rod or tube?

Old 01-27-14, 09:55 PM
He is trying to identify the plumbing part that was used to make whatever that is.
Yes, we know. That's what he asked for. Do you have any suggestions?

Old 01-28-14, 03:47 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
He totally ignored the question about the rod. Why not post the entire pic?

Old 01-28-14, 06:33 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
It would also help to know where the part actually came from, from a light fixture or from a house to hang a fixture from. My guess is this is an old adapter from a turn of the century home used to connect an electric light fixture from old gas light piping that was used to pull wiring through after the gas lights were removed and gas disconnected.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: