Family Room Lighting Project

Old 01-27-14, 08:22 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Family Room Lighting Project

Hi all,

There is currently a candelabra fan/light fixture in our family room. I pretty much hate it. It hangs too low and really doesn't light the room very well. I plan on moving this to an upstairs bedroom that does not have one.

Now, in the absence of this light I will need to put in something else. It's a small room... 13' side to side, 14' front to back, and 8' ceiling.

I am no stranger to electrical work but am looking for ideas. Since this is the first floor and the ceiling is all drywall, I am pretty sure I have to just cut holes and patch as necessary to get romex where I need it. I was thinking track lighting is easiest, but I thought maybe some small LED recessed lights might be nice above the couch (back wall).

I've done track lighting before and haven't ruled that out. I like small gimbal ring style lights but want all lights to be dimmable. I also think I may put the lights over the couch and lights on the track on different switch/dimmer legs so they are separately dimmable.

I'm also open to other ideas that provide lots of light in a low footprint (close to ceiling). I like light bounced off of the ceiling (which is white).

Any pointers to some easy to install old work recessed lights? Anything low voltage by itself?

For dimming, I've used the Lutron Maestro IR before and really like them. I have programmed my HTPC or Logitech Harmony remote with that IR to control the lights. I imagine this is a bit trickier with two circuits.

BTW... the floor joists above the drywall run side to side in the room.

Old 01-27-14, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Small room like that would be fairly easy to install some remodel cans. Bad side is you would have to cut about a 4" strip out of the ceiling to drill for the cable. Good side is it would be a rather easy fix for a taper unless there is a texture, but even then it is only 182 Sq Ft of ceiling.

As always I recommend 6" cans.

Track could be installed, but a lot of people find it rather tacky.

Old 01-27-14, 10:14 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. You're referring to a 4" strip of ceiling running across the floor joists to drill through them for cable? I assumed that, and I think I could handle that patch.

And there is no texture.

Old 01-28-14, 04:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The 4" trench allows space for drilling between the joists.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: