Remote Control Ceiling fan to replace fan run with two switches

Old 02-01-14, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remote Control Ceiling fan to replace fan run with two switches

Hi there,

I'm hoping to get some help with a small project I've started.

I have a ceiling fan, which has a wall switch to control the light and a single incremental/step dimmer that controls the fan. I took the fan down (it had black, blue, green, and white wires) and would like to replace it with the new ceiling fan I bought that has a remote control.

The trick is that I would like for the switch to still work and control the light and fan, but still be able to use the remote control. Is there a way to do this? The schematic for wiring the fan remote control box shows just the black and white wires attached to the box and the fan's wires attached to the box. I'm wondering if there's another way to wire it so that the switches still work. Or at least wire it so that the wall switch for the light still controls the light. Or maybe you have a creative solution!

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-14, 10:21 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

I would like for the switch to still work and control the light and fan, but still be able to use the remote control. Is there a way to do this?
No. You can control your fan with the remote or with a wall switch, but you can't do both. You can control the light on it with the remote or with a wall switch, but you can't do both. Unless you buy a wall control that is really a remote transmitter and that comes with a matching hand-held remote and... etc.

Or at least wire it so that the wall switch for the light still controls the light.
Sure. What color are the wires that connect each of your existing wall switches to the ceiling outlet?