Want to install non-UL listed light fixture

Old 02-03-14, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Want to install non-UL listed light fixture

I'm looking at a light fixture that I want to buy off Etsy (and install in a home). I wrote the manufacturer and this is his response. Should I be concerned about his practices? Should I be concerned about installing a non-UL listed light fixture after inspection as he mentioned?

It is not UL listed. It is made from all UL listed parts.

The UL listing process costs about $3000 plus costs for each product, so for my small scale production it is cost prohibitive. I do, however, follow the UL1598 procedures in the fabrication of all my fixtures.

If you are going to be using this fixture in a commercial application, most municipalities have a process for approving non UL listed fixtures and I am happy to supply photos, diagrams, and specifications to your local electrical inspector to facilitate that approval.

From my understanding, after the inspection, a homeowner can install pretty much anything they like in a single family dwelling.

To be safe, I would give the inspector a call on Monday, just to ask about the process, or what they would need to approve them. Or wait until after the inspection, to install.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-14, 08:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd pass on that one, why take a chance.

Old 02-03-14, 10:00 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What do you find appealing about this fixture that you haven't seen in any UL listed fixture?

FWIW, it sounds like the manufacturer gave you a straight-up answer. You can follow the process he suggested if you'd like to.

Old 02-03-14, 11:29 AM
Received 108 Votes on 99 Posts
I agree with Nashkat1. But you can show the offered design to your elctrician or town municipality and see what they say.

Old 02-03-14, 08:25 PM
It's appealing because it's a custom-built art piece. As I mentioned, it was found on Etsy. I'm guessing that such pieces of art are not uncommon things to be found on that Web site, as homemade stuff (all kinds of things, not just electrical fixtures or devices) is exactly all that is showcased there.

Last edited by acctlc; 02-03-14 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-03-14, 09:07 PM
How about this: If you're willing to show us the piece, we might be willing to help you look for similar pieces that are listed.

Have you followed through on the process of finding out whether your jurisdiction will approve it?

Old 02-04-14, 12:53 AM
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1117932...malleable-iron

I haven't followed through yet because I am swamped at the moment. I will check with them ASAP, but I have other priorities at the moment.

Old 02-04-14, 01:52 PM
Cute fixture. IDK of any company making something like that in a listed fixture, so you should see if you can get your jurisdiction to accept it, IMO.

Old 02-08-14, 12:28 PM
Old 02-08-14, 11:03 PM
Go For It.

It's pipe, some wire and a lightbulb. It's not going to burn your house down, we run wire through conduit all the time, in fact, it's the most secure way to run wire.

No inspector I have ever met looks for the UL sticker on light fixtures.

There may be some insurance implications, but even then these are UL listed parts, so putting them together in a certain order should be fine.

Old 02-09-14, 07:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
I would say it would be a technical code violation to install the fixture.