Wobbly fan because of ceiling finish

Old 02-03-14, 10:27 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wobbly fan because of ceiling finish

So I moved into my place a while ago and have been trying to figure out how to fix this Wobbly fan, I know you can get weight balancing kits but I'm not sure this would help. The problem is the fan doesn't fit flush against the ceiling because of the textured finish. If you push the light one way it's nice a quiet. I've tried folding paper under the mount and that works, but would like something a little more permanent,

Old 02-03-14, 10:54 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You need to remove the fan and see if it was mounted on a properly installed fan rated box. I have seen what you describe when the mounting was a hack job by the Three Stooges.

Old 02-04-14, 02:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
As Ray says, most likely your ceiling box is not fan rated and merely hanging by the nails in the joist. Here is an example of a fan rated box. Yours needs to come out and a sturdy box needs to be installed. Note the difference in size and location of the screws that hold your bract to the box.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  15.8 KB

Old 02-04-14, 04:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
But keep in mind that the fan mounting does not make a solid connection to the ceiling, i.e. it's not bolted to the ceiling; rather it hangs from a ball & socket arrangement on a mounting plate bolted to the box although one of the flush-mount variety may be different, all mine are on down rods that hang as described.

Old 02-04-14, 08:15 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I agree with TG. A wobbling fan is an unbalanced fan. Movement at the ceiling is a symptom of that.

Old 02-04-14, 09:52 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Kael, have you checked the tightness of all of the blade iron mounting screws and blade attachment screws?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: