From light switch to dimmer

Old 02-04-14, 06:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
From light switch to dimmer

Hello DIY.... I am new to this site and I am taking on a small project that I know is huge when dealing with electricity. The problem I am having is I am trying to replace a regular light switch (toggle) and replace it with a dimmer switch. The type of dimmer switch I have is a "Softap" made by adorne. it is designed to be connected via 1 pole or 3 way. I have followed the directions on how to hook it up which is 1 pole but when I do the dimmer simply click but does not turn on light. When I removed the original switch it was hooked up with two wires coming out the wall. (no ground) There is a ground located in the receptacle so I connected my dimmer to it (green wire from dimmer) and I connected the hot to the hot (common) on dimmer, and the other wire to 1 pole as directed. Is there something I am forgetting to do here? Also on the dimmer is a place you can connect the hot, white, 1 pole and 3-way.

Note: I also see about 3 white wires twisted together and capped off, and 3 black wires twisted and capped off. I hear a lot about a neutral wire where would this be or look like?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-14, 07:58 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Also on the dimmer is a place you can connect the hot, white,
Not hot white. It is the neutral connection.
I also see about 3 white wires twisted together and capped off,
That is your neutral where the switch neutral connects.
3 black wires twisted and capped off. I hear a lot about a neutral wire where would this be or look like
That is probably power in where the line side** of the switch connects. Was there a pigtail* from there to the old switch?

*Pigtail: A short length of wire 6"-*' long.
**Line side: Where the hot connects.