Extremely faint buzzing for LED lights on dimmer

Old 02-06-14, 08:13 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Extremely faint buzzing for LED lights on dimmer

I have recently installed some recessed pot lights in the basement. I specifically asked for units that would accept LED bulbs, as I knew I was likely going to be putting some LEDs in. Additionally, I specifically asked for dimmer switches that would be compatible with LEDs that were being dimmed.

With incandescent bulbs in, there is no buzzing, even with me standing on a ladder and my ear right up to the bulb. With LEDs in, there is no flicker of light, and no audible buzz when standing underneath them. However, when I put my ear right up to the LED bulb I can hear the slightest electrical buzzing.

I know that if you don't have the correct pot or dimmer, that LEDs can buzz. But I'm pretty sure I got the right stuff as I went to a company that only sells lighting stuff, not a big box, so I'm pretty confident in their advice. So is it normal for there to be a very light buzzing sound, even if you use the correct LED equipment?

Old 02-06-14, 10:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,411 Votes on 1,305 Posts
Yes..... it is normal to hear a slight buzzing in either the dimmer or the actual LED lights.

Old 02-07-14, 04:08 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sometimes depending on the type of dimmer you use there will either be a buzz in the light bulb or even the dimmer. I have a ceiling fan with 4 incad lights on a dimmer and the fan still buzzes at times.

Try replacing the dimmer with a standard switch. If you still hear buzzing then you know it is a problem with the bulbs/can and not the dimmer. If the buzzing goes away then you know it is the dimmer. You can always try to get a new dimmer.

Old 02-07-14, 06:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 787 Votes on 724 Posts
Old fashioned incandescent bulbs can be dimmed by simply varying the current with a rheostat. LED's operate differently. They are basically on or off even for dimmable models. To achieve the dimming the LED is turned on and off very fast much like how a TV or movie changes still pictures fast enough that you see it as continuous motion. The pulsing of the LED dimmer controller can generate a high frequency whine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: