Need Help Wiring A Dual Switch For A Bathroom Fan and Light

Old 02-19-14, 01:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Help Wiring A Dual Switch For A Bathroom Fan and Light

Hello,

I'm new here and was hoping for some help. If I'm posting in the wrong section or if I'm using incorrect terminology, I apologize but I could really use some help.

I have an old house and the light switch in the bathroom recently stopped working. The switch was a dual switch. I don't know if that's the correct term but basically it was one unit that had two switches. The top switch turned the light on/off and the bottom switch turned the fan on/off.

I removed the switch and took it to my local home improvement store. The guy helping me looked at the switch I brought in and picked out a new switch for me.

The switch I was given has 2 terminals on one side (close together) and 3 terminals on the other side (2 black screws at each end and 1 green screw in the middle).

I have 3 wires coming from the wall. 1 Black Ground wire, 1 Black Fan wire, and 1 Red Light wire.

Here's my problem. I connected the black fan wire and the red light wire on the side of the switch with the 2 terminals close together. Then I connected the black ground wire to the top terminal on the side with 3 terminals.

Now, the light and fan both turn on with the top switch and the bottom switch does nothing. If I move the black ground wire to the bottom terminal on the side with 3 terminals, the bottom switch turns on both and the top switch does nothing. If I move the black ground wire to the green screw in the middle, nothing works.

I would appreciate some help getting this to work the way it used to. Top switch for the light and bottom switch for the fan. I don't know if I was given the right switch, I'm wiring it wrong, or both. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-14, 01:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 414 Votes on 387 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I have 3 wires coming from the wall. 1 Black Ground wire, 1 Black Fan wire, and 1 Red Light wire.
You have 1 black feed or hot wire. 1 black wire for the fan. 1 red wire for the light.

If you look at the switch you'll notice the two screws close together are also electrically tied together. Pick one of those screw terminals for the incoming hot wire.
On the other side where the terminals are further apart.... the red wire goes to the top and the black wire goes to the bottom.

The green screw would be for ground wire if it was present.

Old 02-19-14, 01:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wow. Thank you for the welcome and the super fast response. Figures I was wiring it wrong. I was afraid to switch sides for fear of me burning down my house. LOL. Thank you for your advice. I am going to do this later this morning.

Old 02-19-14, 01:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 414 Votes on 387 Posts
You're welcome.... good luck