Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

Ceiling Fan, 3 way light, single switch fan, existing rough in- Can I? with diag

Ceiling Fan, 3 way light, single switch fan, existing rough in- Can I? with diag

Old 02-24-14, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a project that has existing wiring in place. I am trying to make due with what I have and see if I can get a ceiling fan to work as follows:

It's a bedroom with a fan box and switch boxes by each door. Near 1 door I want one switch to control the fan blades. The remaining switch and the other by the other entrance should be a 3-way.. both controlling the light alone. The fan should work independently of any light switch. That's the goal!
What I have diagnosed is as follows: See the attached rough sketch:

1. Power is to the double switch box.
2. From switch box to fan box there is a 3wire and a separate 2 wire with ground.
3. From the other switch box there is a 3 wire with ground.

I had it kind of working but the fan has a single hot wire for both the fan and the light. Thanks for any help.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-14, 09:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 384 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You need to get a wire up thru the fan for the light. It's usually blue or a wire with a stripe.
I left the grounds out of the diagram but they need to also be connected.

Name:  dd.jpg
Views: 35750
Size:  24.1 KB

Old 02-26-14, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the very nice reply. It looks then like I can get it to work. From your excellent diagram, I'll need a 3 way switch in both boxes for the light to work as planned...

In the light box, I am going from memory but you are correct. There is are several wires with one set for the light and the other for the fan but I think I understand your labelling in the box.

Again.. thank you very much!

Joe.

Old 02-26-14, 10:24 PM
Group Moderator
You're welcome...... if you have any questions feel free to ask and someone here will help you out.

Old 03-02-14, 09:32 AM
PJMax,
I did this yesterday and it worked great. The 3way switches I have are a little odd but when I notice your color coding on the switches on your diagram and followed it.. it worked just great. Thanks very much... I am posting a similar 4 way scenario for this same project. Thanks again.

Old 03-02-14, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
Great news..... you're welcome

With a three way switch....as long as you put the common wire on the dark screw.... you can't go wrong.