Ceiling Fan w/Light - Separate Switches w/Light on Dimmer?

Old 03-01-14, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan w/Light - Separate Switches w/Light on Dimmer?

Ok, Im going to need some help on this one, because Im not sure how to get what I want.

I have a room that I would like to put a ceiling fan in. This ceiling fan will also have lights. Id like to be able to control the fan and lights with two separate switches. If this were the end of it then I would be OK. I could make this happen. However.

Id also like the light to be on a dimmer switch (NOT THE FAN, just the light). Is this possible? I cant seem to find a switch that contained a regular switch and a dimmer switch.

In other words, Id like to be able to flick the fan on or off and Id like to be able to dim or brighten the fan lights.

Does a combo switch exist that contains these two functions? Or do I need to buy a dedicated dimmer and a dedicated switch? What if I only have a single slot in my blue junction box?

Can you tell Im a total amateur yet?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Lou

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-14, 10:29 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums, fellow Virginian!

Before we get to the control you need, is there a fan-rated box in the ceiling now or is this a new installation? Also, do you have a 2-conductor cable or a 3-conductor cable or conduit between the wall box and the ceiling box? After we get that sorted out,

Id like to be able to control the fan and lights with two separate switches.

Id also like the light to be on a dimmer switch (NOT THE FAN, just the light).

Id like to be able to flick the fan on or off and Id like to be able to dim or brighten the fan lights.

Does a combo switch exist that contains these two functions? Or do I need to buy a dedicated dimmer and a dedicated switch? What if I only have a single slot in my blue junction box?
Fan motors need full power at startup and should only be "flicked" on and off if the fan is set on "High" and the pull chain switch is then disabled. You need to install a combination fan/light control such as the All Fan/Light Wall Mount Control, the All-Fan/Light Dual Slide Control, or the All-Fan/Light Dual Slide Preset Control, all from Hunter. Your local big box home improvement center should have these if your neighborhood hardware store doesn't.

Can you tell Im a total amateur yet?
Well, maybe that you haven't worked with a lot of ceiling fans before.