Chosing the right dimmer

Old 03-04-14, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chosing the right dimmer

It is just problem after problem at my house. I had recently broken a regular light switch and I want to have a dimmer installed to replace the switch. It is a 3 way switch that controls three 12volt LED mr16 light bulbs(2 Philips and 1 Sylvania. I am new to dimmers but I think I need a dimmer that needs to meet all the requirements. I'm thinking may this dimmer will do it :
Lutron | Diva Single Pole/3-Way CFL & LED Dimmer, White | Home Depot Canada
I'm not sure about the 12 volts but I think everything else is OK for that dimmer.
Do I need the special low voltage dimmer or is that it?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-14, 11:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 479 Votes on 449 Posts
If a regular three way switch operates those lights now....... that dimmer should be what you need .

Old 03-05-14, 03:22 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
...that controls three 12volt LED mr16 light bulbs...
The fact that the lamps in question are 12 volt may preclude this dimmer from working at all. Even if it does it may not dim the bulbs to your satisfaction. Most 12 volt MR-16 LED bulbs have a VERY limited dimming range in my experience.

Also, if you use a single point dimmer switch in a 3-way circuit you cannot change the level but from the dimmer location. That means that if you dim the lights the other switch will ONLY be able to select from dim and off. for multiple point usage (3 and 4-way switches) I always recommend "master and slave" dimmers to give full control from all switch locations.