1 of my Porch lights not working. Please help. My wife thinks I'm an idiot!

Old 03-29-14, 06:09 PM
1 of my Porch lights not working. Please help. My wife thinks I'm an idiot!

One of the porch lights out front suddenly stopped working about 3 weeks ago. I decided to get new fixtures that weren't 15 years old with the house in the meantime thinking it was just a bad bulb. Swapping out light bulbs did not work. I installed 4 new fixtures 2 on either side of garage and 2 on either side of front door (1 of these is not working still!) All 3 other lights are working. What do I check for? The breaker i turned off turned all 4 of the outdoor lights off so I'm assuming they're on the same breaker. BTW my wife thinks I'm an idiot. Anyone have suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-14, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
Are all four lights on the same switch? Have you measured the voltage at the non working light using a multimeter, preferably analog? (A non contact tester is useless for this.) Have you removed all wire nuts and checked for loose wires or corrosion inside the wire nut? You might also want to read http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ther-info.html if you haven't already.

Old 03-29-14, 07:54 PM
Yes all four lights are on the same switch (there are two switches in the home that operates them. I have not measured the voltage but will do that tomorrow. I Just installed the fixtures so all wire nuts had no corrosion and all wires seem to be tight.

Old 03-29-14, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
You need to check the connections at all of the lights not just that one since they are probably daisy chained.
Yes all four lights are on the same switch (there are two switches in the home that operates them.
So this is a 3-way.

Old 03-29-14, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Are they motion activated? Dusk to dawn? Could be as simple as the center tab in the socket not making contact. Turn off power and use a small hooked tool of some sort to slightly bend it up.

Oh wait...these are new? Crud...I misread it I think.

Old 04-06-14, 10:47 AM
All connections are good. Multimeter reading good numbers. Stumped and wife still thinks I'm an idiot. Might be over my head and time to call a pro!

Old 04-06-14, 11:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you tried to switch with a known working bulb? What voltage do you get from the center tab to the screw shell?