Old house (1968) wiring up some living room lights

Old 03-30-14, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old house (1968) wiring up some living room lights

Greeting from Oregon, the shower me state. We moved into our first home last year and have been addressing some issues from day 1. The latest project is getting some light in the living room. Originally there is a wall switch that controls an outlet that one could wire a table lamp to. However we've got the furniture arranged to where a table lamp wouldn't feng shui very well as it's on one end of the living room. So it was we visted the local Hab for Humanity store and came across a pair of ceiling hanging lamp fixtures with chain that we both liked and were complimentary to a house of this age, not that we're intending to retro fit stuff in here on the whole.
I'm initally planning to run some romex from two corners of the room through the ceiling across the attic joists and down the wall the the double switch near the front door that controlls the porch light and the indoor outlet.
I'm hoping for some guidance and possible traps or pitfalls that I should be aware of. I've got a beeper line voltage pen and multimeter. Also I've wired up and coverted to electronic ballast an F96 T12 fixture in the garage, wired up a new water heater and stove. Apart from automotive electric this sums up my electrical experience.
Thanks and a lift of the lynch lid for postings!
Gus

Old 03-30-14, 05:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm initally planning to run some romex from two corners of the room through the ceiling across the attic joists and down the wall the the double switch near the front door that controlls the porch light and the indoor outlet.
That 2-gang box should have a complete circuit in it, or have one available from the receptacle. You should be able to add a third switch there for the two new fixtures if you want to keep the switched receptacle, or convert the receptacle to be always hot and use the second switch for the two fixtures.

One cable between the two ceiling boxes and one cable from one of those to the switch box to the closer ceiling box is better practice that taking both cables from the ceiling to the switch box. Or are you planning to install enough switches to be able to control each light separately?

Old 03-31-14, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm intending one switch for both pairs of lights. I'm going to be taking photos and posting my progress as I move on this project. First I've got to dig access through a 20" loft of blow in insulation in the attic. Going to use some scrap 3/4" plywood to lay over the joists as a platform as I move across the attic.

BTW, glad to see Mouser electronics as a sponsor here. I've used them for some of the unique connectors on my Jeep CJ.

Old 04-01-14, 10:40 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm intending one switch for both pairs of lights.
Will that be the switch that's controlling the receptacle now or a new, third switch?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: