Convert exhaust fan light to chandelier while keeping exhaust?

Old 03-30-14, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Convert exhaust fan light to chandelier while keeping exhaust?

We currently have an exhaust fan/light combo (separate switches)in our bathroom. I'd like to hang a chandelier from the same spot in place of existing light while keeping the exhaust fan. I can handle the cosmetic issues that will arrive, but need help on if there is a certain type of light I should look for and how to wire. I saw a chandelier for a ceiling fan mount...so Maybe that is what I need? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks! Name:  1396222457090.jpg
Views: 3494
Size:  20.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-14, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'd like to hang a chandelier from the same spot in place of existing light while keeping the exhaust fan.
That may be pretty difficult and even harder to make it look like a complete fixture.

Old 04-01-14, 01:19 PM
I am quite certain I can make it look good. I plan to keep the oiled bronze ring around the outside, then attach a ceiling medallion (painted oiled bronze) , and then install an oiled bronze fixture in the center. The two largest obstacles are; 1. The electrical, and 2. The best way to support the weight... but I can figure out how to support myself as I have full access to the attic.

Old 04-01-14, 11:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
There is a rod in the center of the fixture. It you could replace that rod with a hollow rod like used on lighting fixtures you could put a brass hook on it.

Name:  hook.jpg
Views: 2818
Size:  16.4 KB

Old 04-02-14, 09:20 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Are you planning to replace the current fixture or modify it? I don't think the plastic or glass cover on it can support any additional weight.

Old 04-02-14, 10:04 AM
Keep in mind you cannot have a chandelier above a tub.

Old 04-02-14, 10:18 PM
I want to replace the current light portion with a chandelier while keeping the exhaust fan. It will not be over a tub so no issue their. The physical side of it, I believe, I can tackle...it is the electrical I am insure of. Maybe I should take it apart first and see what kind of wiring is up there.

Old 04-03-14, 10:34 AM
I want to replace the current light portion with a chandelier while keeping the exhaust fan.
Do you know that this fixture has two separable parts? Did you install it?

The physical side of it, I believe, I can tackle...
Chandeliers can be heavy. All of them require that they be mounted to a ceiling box, and the heavier ones require mounting to a special ceiling box designed to support their weight. Most bathroom exhaust fans are not mounted to a box at all. They are installed in an opening in the ceiling, and are not designed to support any weight beyond their own.

Maybe I should take it apart first and see what kind of wiring is up there.
Since the light and the fan are controlled by separate switches now, the wiring should be pretty straightforward. Do check out the support while you're there though.

Old 04-08-14, 06:38 PM
I am looking at a small chandelier (4 bulb, approximately 5lbs). Because I have Access to the ceiling from the attic, I imagined I Could mount supports to studs from there if . I think the chandelier will weigh nearly the same as the glass done I will be removing.

Old 04-08-14, 07:24 PM
I didn't realize you were removing/replacing the glass dome. Carry on.