Problem with outdoor fountain pump

Old 03-31-14, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem with outdoor fountain pump

I had a fountain installed in the backyard. It runs with a small submersible pump. An electric line needed to be extended from the basement. I also wanted a single pole switch installed in the house to shut on/off.

This is what was done. I had someone trench a line to the vicinity of the pump using 14-2 outdoor wire. A 15 amp WR GFCI receptable was installed. On the inside of the house the outdoor wire connects with a separate 15 amp circuit (14-2 indoor wire) that comes from the main panel. A single pole 15 amp switch is mounted on the wall on the first floor.

When the power is switched on all is well except that the wall switch is in the off position. When I turn the switch on the circuit blows.

Everything is 15 Amp throughout this separate circuit. I am stumped.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-14, 08:35 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Was the switch wired with the two blacks connected to the switch and the whites connected only to each other?

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  13.6 KB

Old 03-31-14, 08:40 AM
outdoor fountain

The wall switch is wired white on one side black on the other.

Old 03-31-14, 08:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
This wiring work was done by a handy man I assume and not a licensed electrician. As that wiring is very obviously incorrect. The bare copper wires should be connected to each other and to the green ground screw on the switch. The two white wires should be connected to each other. One black wire should be connected to one screw on the side of the switch and the other black wire should be connected to the other screw on the side of the switch.

In that type of circuit black is the hot wire, the one carrying power. The white is neutral and used to complete the circuit and the bare copper is ground. With the white and black connected to the switch turning the switch on connects the white and black creating a short which is tripping your circuit breaker as it should.

Old 03-31-14, 09:00 AM
outdoor fountain

Correct...handyman did it.

I understand...I will check tonight. Thx for your help.