Closet Light

Old 04-02-14, 08:24 AM
W
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Closet Light

Hey all,

My office closet is about to be taken over by my fiance.... Anyways, I plan to paint it this weekend and make it look all pretty for her. The closet is in my home office which does not have an over head light. I would like to install a light in the closet. There is a outlet in the bottom left part of the closet and I'd rather use that then have to wire a switch and get into a big project. As you can see in the picture, with the shelving unit it makes it difficult for overhead lighting in the closet. I want something that will bring as much light as possible to the entire closet, maybe a light on each side of the clothes rack? I'd prefer not to get into a big project and would like to keep it on a budget. What would you do to bring light to this closet utilizing the plug that is already installed?

I am open to all suggestions and recommendations!

Thank you in advance,

Bill

Attached Images  
Old 04-02-14, 09:10 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you install lights that plug into that existing receptacle, you will still need to install a switch or your fiancee will have to plug the cord in to turn the light on and unplug it to turn it off.

I would use surface raceway such as Wiremold and individual conductors to bring the receptacle forward into a surface box, then run to a switch at standard height near the door and up to a fluorescent fixture on the ceiling just inside the door. That will also help keep the fixture the required minimum distance from flammables.

What ts the rating of the circuit breaker for this circuit?

Old 04-02-14, 03:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
There are clearance requirements from fixtures to the storage areas in the closet. This varies between 6 inches for fluorescent up to 12 inches for incandescent lights.

Old 04-03-14, 01:12 PM
M
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreeing with the earlier posts,regarding the need for switches, clearance, etc., and adding a thought: Have you considered using battery powered led "puck lights". You could attach them at the top/ front of each area in the closet, including shelves, and possibly one "overhead" for more general closet lighting. We did this in 2 "regular closets-they work, and while you do need to replace batteries, there was no wiring to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: