Controling several lamp switches with only one dimmer

Old 04-06-14, 06:36 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Controling several lamp switches with only one dimmer

Hello,

I would like to connect several switches/lamps with only one dimmer, in the same box, in order for this dimmer to control all switches.

I have seen it work either for two, three or five switches/lamps.

Unfortunately, I can not find any connecting diagram. Parallel, serial? No clue.

Could anyone give me a hand? Thanks a lot in advance.

Vincent

Old 04-06-14, 06:48 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
You write "switches/lamps" That doesn't really make since in American. They are two different things. Here lamp as you use it would be something setting on a table you plug into a receptacle. It is against code here to put receptacles on a dimmer. Do you mean ceiling lights each with its own switch and the switches fed by a large dimmer?

Old 04-07-14, 10:28 AM
A
Received 229 Likes on 210 Posts
Add up the published or labeled wattage ratings for all of the light fixtures powered from this switch box. Your dimmer has to handle at least that total wattage.

Start to connect up the switches as if there were no dimmer, but connect the cluster of cables that normally is connected to the power feed to the dimmer output instead. Use short segments (pigtails), one from a terminal of each switch coming together to make that cluster. The real power feed is connected to the dimmer input.

It is possible that you can't get the entire cluster into one wire nut in which case you can make two clusters. Use another pigtail to connect the two clusters and a pigtail to connect to the dimmer terminal.

(On some dimmers it does not matter if the input and output terminals are interchanged.)

There will be yet another cluster for the neutral (white) wires coming from the lighting subcircuits. This is not connected to any switch terminals.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-07-14 at 10:44 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: