New condo - What are the bundles of white, green and blue wires for?

Old 04-07-14, 09:29 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New condo - What are the bundles of white, green and blue wires for?

Hello!

I have just moved into a new condo in Toronto. I was about to install a simple ceiling light (black to black, white to white, green to green) but when I popped the cover off there are coils of green, white and blue wires - as well as the white, black and green that I was looking for.

I've attached a picture.

Help!

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 2982
Size:  29.8 KB

Old 04-07-14, 09:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,154 Likes on 2,834 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A pretty busy box there but not uncommon to see. That's a splice point where the wires are combined and sent to different locatios like switches or receptacles.
Remove that white piece of plastic.

I can see a yellow wire with and orange wire nut. That's where your black will connect.
I can see a single white wire. That where your white will connect.
I don't see a tail for green so it gets added into the bundle of greens with the red wire nut.

Old 04-07-14, 11:23 AM
You should first check your voltage.
I can't speak for Ontario, but here you usually only see yellow (and I think i see brown) for 347V lighting.
This shouldn't be the case since this is a condo, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Old 04-09-14, 11:58 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Come on now, use a little common sense man. Seriously, what would possibly make you think that there is 347 volts there? You would NEVER EVER find that voltage in a residential box. When you pull wire through conduit, you can use whatever color you want (besides white/gray/green of course) in order to differentiate/identify hot circuits and conductors in a single phase system. Especially in a box as busy as that and you are pulling multiple circuits at once.

PJ the tail for the ground is attached to a screw on the plastic bracket.

Old 04-09-14, 04:45 PM
You could very well find it being used for exterior lighting on the house panel.
And while you could pull in any color you would like, you would get a smack here for pulling in yellow, brown, orange for 120V circuits. Those are designated for 347V, although orange is sometimes used for switch legs.
While unlikely, what is the harm in being sure Matt?

Old 04-09-14, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
Around here you'd get a smack being an electrician and cramming that many wires in box.

I see the ground now attached to the screw on the left. That may be a 4" square type box with a ring..... it's hard to tell.... although it looks like a round plastic nail on.

Old 04-09-14, 10:08 PM
J
Originally Posted by Mr.Awesome View Post
You could very well find it being used for exterior lighting on the house panel.
And while you could pull in any color you would like, you would get a smack here for pulling in yellow, brown, orange for 120V circuits. Those are designated for 347V, although orange is sometimes used for switch legs.
While unlikely, what is the harm in being sure Matt?
No. Sorry. There is absolutely NO instance where you would EVER find 347 volts in a house. Because there is NO instance where ANY house would have 3 phase/600V service, because there's no way of getting 120/240V out of it without a pad transformer! The only 3 phase you'd ever find in a residence is 120Δ240 (in which case brown and yellow are 120V L-N, orange [stinger leg] is 208V L-N), or 120Y208 (in which case the phases are red/black/blue, all are 120V L-N, and yellow means nothing). Any other system requires different transformers which would never be found outside of a commercial/industrial zone, and would mean much higher electric rates than would be feasible for a home.

And you would ABSOLUTELY NOT get smack for pulling BOY conductors in a single phase system, because outside of a 3Δ-xxx system, brown orange and yellow mean absolutely nothing.. Just like there would be no smack for using blue (which is also present in that box) in a single phase system, because outside of a 3Y-xxx system, blue means absolutely nothing except that it is a 'hot' wire.

Old 04-09-14, 10:11 PM
J
Why is my reply in moderation?

Old 04-09-14, 10:22 PM
Group Moderator
It's from the use of the delta symbol. The anti spam program keys on some symbols.

Old 04-09-14, 10:30 PM
Group Moderator
This thread has veered off course.

Kevin.... I hope we've answered your question.

Mod note: OP has not replied back yet. Please refrain from anymore comments until we get a response.. Thanks for your help and please all try to stay professional with your replies.

Thanks... Lawrosa

Last edited by lawrosa; 04-10-14 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Added note and reopened thread...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: