Lighted Switch no ground?

Old 04-08-14, 09:01 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lighted Switch no ground?

Adding a Cooper light switch single pole. It has a green hex screw and says must be grounded.The old light switch was not grounded. After pulling out the light switch, I found a bare Cooper write twisted with another bare copper wire. Do I UN
twist one piece and connect to switch and remove any extra from bare wire?

Thanks.

Old 04-08-14, 09:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,167 Likes on 2,845 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You can add an additional piece of bare wire, a tail, right on to that existing splice and then put a wire nut on.

The existing splice needs to be left spliced together.

Old 04-09-14, 01:29 PM
V
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can tell you where I live in both my new homes I had built and others that I have seen with no drywall or wall plates never hand a ground wire connected to the switches.

I was told that's because the houses have been centrally grounded near the water main line in the basement. All my wires run through conduit.

I'm no expert but that's what I have been told be electricians, head contractors of new home crews, and various co-workers/family. This is how every switch is in my brand new house

Old 04-09-14, 02:45 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
With metal boxes the ground wire to the switch is optional so long as the box is grounded. With plastic boxes you must use a ground wire to the switch. It is permissible to use the ground wire as a return path if the load is 5 milliamps or less. That is probably why the switch needs a ground. It is to provide a path for the light.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: