Adding recessed lights to existing switch controlled outlet

Old 04-09-14, 08:50 AM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding recessed lights to existing switch controlled outlet

Hello, New to the Forum and I have a project I could use some help with.

I'm fairly handy and have done electrical work in the past, as a homeowner. My new project seems straight forward, but here we go:

I want to add four recessed lights in my office that currently has a switch controlling one side of an outlet for a plugged in lamp. On the switch side, I have a yellow and red wire going to the outlet. On the outlet end, there is the red and yellow wires on the "gold" side and then one white wire on the upper opposite side. I have access in the attic above to add the lights. I assume I would run new wire from can lights to existing switch. How do I covert the switch outlet (one side) to be live all the time. How do I connect power to the switch to control new lights? I appreciate the help and hope that I explained well enough.

TC

Old 04-09-14, 09:35 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
How do I covert the switch outlet (one side) to be live all the time.
Are there any white wires in the switch box? If not you may need to pull new wire from the switch box to receptacle box.

Explanation: In a house with NM cable you would have black and white to the switch box so this is simple. Hopefully there is a white at the receptacle and it travels in the conduit from the switch to the receptacle. If not then it gets more complicated.

Questions: Is this a single family residence? If so what types of cable, if any, does Chicago allow.

Old 04-09-14, 10:00 AM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes there is a White wire that runs from switch box to receptacle- connected to one side of the outlet

Old 04-09-14, 12:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Edit: See Nash's revision of my post below.

Yes there is a White wire that runs from switch box to receptacle-
At the receptacle:
  • Remove the receptacle and replace with one that does not have the tab broken on the brass side.
  • Cap the yellow wire.
  • Connect red to the brass side of the new receptacle.If more than two red pigtail them.
  • Connect white to silver. If more then two pigtail.
At the new fan rated metal box run xx-3 AC cable (if permitted) to the switch box.
At the switch box:
  • Near the switch box make a hole just big enought to fish the AC cable and connect to the switch box.
  • If you are only going to need one hot to the fan box at this time cap the red wire of the AC cable.
  • AC cable white to white to receptacle.
  • AC cable black to switch.
  • Red remains on switch from previous connection.
  • Yellow to receptacle is capped.

Notes: Assumes red is constant and yellow is switched. If MC with ground wire is used instead of AC cable the ground is connected to the box on both ends. If AC or MC cable is not permitted you may want to hire an electrician.

xx=14 if 15 amp circuit or 12 if 20 amp circuit.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-10-14 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-10-14, 12:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ray2047
what types of cable, if any, does Chicago allow... If MC with ground wire is used instead of AC cable the ground is connected to the box on both ends. If AC or MC cable is not permitted you may want to hire an electrician.
No cable, only pipe. Greenfield (FMC) may be used.

Given that, here's a liberal edit of Ray's earlier reply:

Originally Posted by ray2047
At the receptacle:
  • Remove the receptacle and replace with one that does not have the tab broken on the brass side.
  • Disconnect the yellow wire, straighten it and cut off the bare end of it. - IOW, get it ready to be pulled out.
  • Connect red to the brass side of the new receptacle.If more than two red pigtail them.
  • Connect white to silver. If more then two pigtail.
At the new fan rated metal box:
  • Run 1/2" Greenfield (flexible metal conduit to the switch box.
  • Install four individual THHN conductors in that conduit: black, red, white and green.
Note 1: Install #12AWG conductors if this is a 20A circuit If it is a 15A circuit, you may use #14AWG conductors.
Note 2: you can install the conductors in the conduit before installing the conduit, if that makes it easier.

At the switch box:
  • Near the switch box make a hole just big enough to fish the Greenfield in and connect it to the switch box.
  • If you are only going to need one hot to the fan box at this time don't install a red conductor in the Greenfield.
  • Greenfield white to white to receptacle.
  • Greenfield black to switch.
  • Greenfield red, if present, spliced to black, with a pigtail added to switch.
  • Red remains on switch from previous connection.
  • Yellow to receptacle is disconnected and removed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: