exhaust fan

Old 04-09-14, 12:57 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust fan

I'm at a loss on this one. we have 1 bathroom. it has a light switch for the vanity, an on/off rocker switch and a spring loaded timer. there are 2 heat lamps in the ceiling fixture. when you turn on the rocker switch, 1 lamp comes on and the exhaust fan comes on. when you use the timer, it operates the other lamp but the fan doesn't run. now the bulb burned out on the timer and I replaced it with an identical bulb. now when you turn the rocker switch on, both lamps come on with the exhaust fan on also. turn that switch off and operate the timer and both lamps come on and the exhaust fan comes on. I replaced the timer and switch but it does the same thing and I'm pulling out my hair as I type. Any advice or help greatly appreciated.

Maintenance man without a plan.

Old 04-09-14, 04:36 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
We can't help you because you didn't tell us the wiring at the switches or the fan or the heat lamps How many 2-conductor cables in each box. How many three conductor cables? What is each wire of the cable (except grounds) connected to? Are the heat lamps separate fixtures. Is the fan a separate fixture?

Old 04-09-14, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,574 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Sounds like a Broan model #163 and they usually have 2 heat bulbs and the fan all wired to the timer so that it all is on at the same time, on the timer only.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: