ceiling fan/fluorescent light woes

Old 04-09-14, 05:28 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ceiling fan/fluorescent light woes

Hi all, just joined after scouring these forums to get some assistance

I purchased my house a few years ago and in the family room we have a Hunter model 23534 ceiling fan. The fan still works fine but the fluorescent light does not work (tried 3 different bulbs). I tried searching and it seems my ballast has crapped out. Unfortunately, Hunter no longer sells parts for my fan. So am I out of luck and have to purchase a whole new fan!?

what I'm hoping for:
1. can I replace the ballast with any other random similarly sized light/ballast combo and re-wire it some how? (I'm no expert with electrical, but I think I can figure it out with guidance)

2. Can I get rid of the ballast altogether and switch to an incandescent setup?

Separate issue - not as important
This fan came with a remote that I never had. I can't get a replacement for this either! Is there a way to remove the remote receiver gizmo and replace it with a newer one?

Also, I don't really know the cost of all of this. If I end up spending 70+ dollars on replacement parts then I think I might as well get a new fan. I really like this one though, and how incredibly powerful it is, so I'm hoping I can keep it and get the light issues fixed.

Old 04-09-14, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That looks to be a round fluorescent tube. Those bulbs are very thin. You could remove it and the ballast but there is almost no room to put much of anything else in there.

The wireless remote looks like a standard Hunter wireless unit that fits in the canopy. You should be able to replace it with their current canopy mounted remote kit.

I left a link below to Hunter replacement parts although I'm not sure what, if any, are available from them directly.

Hunter fan/SupportDocuments/PartsGuides/model (23534) 98000-01-292.pdf

Name:  fan.jpg
Views: 5199
Size:  23.2 KB

Old 04-11-14, 10:43 AM
R
thanks PJ I appreciate your response yes it is a small round fluorescent tube (frustratingly dim too even when it worked!!). I gave hunter a call and they told me replacement parts such as ballast are no longer being produced and are unavailable. Thanks for the good news in regards to the remote though, that at least gives me options for fan control!

My only options are to buy a completely random ballast and re-wire it for the light to work.

is it possible to take the entire light setup/ballast off, including the glass cover... and then rewire it with a standalone light of some sort? (general example: Titan Lighting Ceiling Mount 1-Light Outdoor Weathered Charcoal Pendant-TN-8400 at The Home Depot)

Old 04-11-14, 11:11 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The ballast needs to match the wattage of the bulb. Most fans the light portion can be replaced with a different light kit. Is that not the case here?

Plan B: Just noodling here but if the light kit can't be replaced I'm thinking, gut the fixture and LED puck lights might fit or LED rope light. The install wouldn't have to be elegant because the housing and original globe would hide it. Maybe even LED Christmas lights with white or clear bulbs coiled inside the original housing.

Old 04-11-14, 09:34 PM
R
Ray, not sure if I understand or if my post was confusing (don't know much about this stuff so maybe my terminology is off!).

I know that the ballast needs to match the wattage of the bulb, but I'm not sure what you are calling the "light portion" and "light kit".... I've tried 3 exact replacement bulbs and none work so I think I need to replace the entire ballast and anything else that's part of the light "mechanism"...

Since I can't replace the device.... What I want to know is (random example again): Lets say I buy a regular 60W incandescent bulb... is there a way for me to change the connections so that the fan still works like it does, and I now have a different bulb and light "mechanism"... thereby bypassing the out-of-stock ballast issue altogether?

Or I can stick with fluorescent, but buy a fluorescent bulb that matches one of the currently available ballasts from a different fan, and change all the wiring accordingly?

PS: Definitely like the outside the box thinking with your LED/xmas lights idea, though I think it would produce pretty low light output in my family room where this is located and may not be worth it for me!!!

Old 04-11-14, 10:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,850 Posts
There is a 120vac connection to the ballast. You could remove the fluorescent lamp and the ballast and replace it with a light of your choice. The problem is we can't tell how much room you have in the fixture. I get the feeling that you need a solution that supplies a lot of light and I don't think you'll be able to fit anything like that in there.

I don't see any lighting kit that can be retrofitted to that fan but that doesn't mean that one isn't available.

Old 04-11-14, 10:38 PM
To explain a bit more most fans come with a removable light. It can be used with or without a light. Stores carry a large selection of lights and most will fit most fans. However what PJ and I don't know is if you have the rare fan with a built in light rather than an interchangeable light kit.

Name:  5457.jpg
Views: 4627
Size:  30.1 KB

Old 04-13-14, 07:18 PM
R
oh I see what you guys are saying. I'm confident the light i have is removable. so I guess really the only thing I need to consider is how much room i have to play with once the ballast is removed and then figure out what would fit without it making my family room look horrible?

I've never had to do anything like this before (if you couldn't tell lol). Anything I need to worry about in terms of the wiring other then to make sure the breaker is off? I'm hoping its a simple process.

thanks for all your help both of you!

Old 04-13-14, 07:32 PM
I'm confident the light i have is removable.
Did you mean not removable? If it is removable then it can be easily replaced with many different styles of lights.

Old 04-14-14, 10:49 PM
R
hi guys appreciate your help so far. I went out and bought a little giant ladder so I can just go up to the fan and see what I have to work with (probably should have done it long ago but didn't want to spend so much on a ladder!)

Anyway, the light is definitely removable, I took it down and bought myself a simple incandescent adapter for it. I'll figure out how I want to "decorate" it later.

While I was up there, I removed the canopy and took out the built in remote receiver since it wasn't functional and I could not get a remote/replacement receiver anyway. I bought a new "universal" one from home depot.

Hunter Universal Wall Mount Ceiling Fan Control-99111 at The Home Depot

Can I get some help with wiring this? I can start a new thread if needed.

The original one has a wiring harness - white, black, gray, yellow, pink, red.. and then a separate white and black/white stripe plug which I imagine goes into the main power source. Also has a random black plug in the back which I believe is the ground.

The new remote has: white and black on the left side. blue and yellow on the right side. slightly gray one at the top (probably the ground?)

so it seems my fan has a couple of extra wires that this new remote doesn't have!? any suggestions, or is this not going to work??

EDIT
Okay i did some more research and staring at the wires. It seems that on my original receiver the extra wiring is for fan speed control, is that right? so the Black and white stand alone wires are going into the lighting... the harness portion (black, white, red, yellow, gray, pink) are for the fan and its speed control.

soo, on the new remote, I don't have the extra color codes for the speed control if my guess is right... how would i go about connecting the extra wires, just cap them off and not use them?

Last edited by RedZoneOS; 04-15-14 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-15-14, 10:34 PM
R
hi guys, just a quick update since I've been doing tons of research on this.

What I have possibly learned is (original wiring):
Yellow = neutral
Pink = always hot
Gray & Red = alternate hot depending on fan reverse.
white = light neutral out
black = light live out
white - with sheathing = AC neutral IN
black/white - with sheathing = AC live IN

Universal receiver (new):
Yellow = Fan
Blue = Light
Black = Live in
White = Neutral in

Sooo... can I wire it like this? Honestly I don't care if this fails and my fan burns out, i'll end up buying a new one anyway lol, as long as there is no risk of anything else more severe!!

1. pink+gray from original harness to yellow on the new receiver
2. black (light live out) from original harness to blue on the new receiver
3. black/white AC live in from original harness to black live in on new receiver
4. all of the white wires + Red and yellow from original harness

Do you think this would work to give me at least uni-directional functionality for the fan + light control???

Old 04-16-14, 01:28 AM
R
success - Hunter Oceanus 23534

well thanks anyway but I got it working as well as I need it to. In case it helps other people that have the same issue:

The wiring method I used below is perfect for fan running in reverse (winter). simply switch the locations of the Red and Gray wires if you want it running for summer use.

Also, the black and white wires listed in step 2/3 need to be reversed...
Black/white wire goes into the "blue" wire from the universal receiver
Black wire from the original harness to black wire on universal receiver

One minor hiccup (may matter to some)... for some reason the fastest of the 3 speeds is still fairly slow compared to before... I think its running on Medium as max setting... No idea why this happened, but doesn't really matter to me so I didn't bother with further testing.

PS: This method was successful with my Hunter 23534 Oceanus fan. Not sure if it would work with others, but I imagine a lot of the "Type 3" models are wired similarly.

EDIT: also wanted to add: can't test it as I cut up the wiring, but after going through all of this, I think my original problem was the receiver unit and not the ballast in the fluorescent bulb!

Old 04-16-14, 08:13 AM
Good to read you got it. Thanks for letting us know your solution. It may help someone else.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: