New ceiling fan runs slow, even on highest setting

Old 04-10-14, 01:36 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New ceiling fan runs slow, even on highest setting

Our home is a new build and was pre-wired for ceiling fans. All ceiling mounts have copper, black, white and red wires coming from them and are connected to a two-way switch on the wall (one controls fan speed, the other the light).

The first fan I installed, a Hunter, had two pull strings and the switches worked, but the ran fan runs slow, even at the highest setting. The pull string will vary speed, with the lowest setting being really slow, the highest faster, but not by much.

I installed a Harbor Breeze Saratoga fan a few days ago, it has an integrated light and remote in the fan, no pull strings. I only need the wall switch for the fan on, the light is controlled via remote. It, too, runs slow. After installation, I had one red wire from the ceiling left, which I capped off. I think it is for the light switch at the wall.

Is there something that I'm missing as to why two separate fans from two different manufacturers would both run slow? Thanks for help on my first posted question.

Old 04-10-14, 02:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

If you can access the wiring above your fans without taking them down, kill the power and disconnect the fan wires from the wires you used to feed them. If doing that looks like a real PITA, kill the power, pull and disconnect the switches.

Either way, once you are looking at exposed wire ends use a multimeter, preferably an analog one. to test for 120V AC between each hot feed and its neutral. If you see 120V the problem should be in the fan. If you see less, there may be a problem in your wiring.

Let us know what you find.

Old 04-10-14, 02:23 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Some 'slider' fan controls are configured weird.. I know, because I got one (I think it's a Hampton Bay). Rather than having 'High' be all the way up and 'Off' being at the bottom as any normal person would expect, they go (from the bottom) Off-High-MedHi-Med-Low. So what you think is "High" on the switch is actually "Low".

Old 04-10-14, 06:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,158 Likes on 2,838 Posts
The switches are set up that way so that HI is the first speed that the fan starts on. This prolongs the life of the motor and starting capacitor.

Old 04-10-14, 10:00 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Interesting.. Up until this one I've never seen one that does that.. Every other one in my house has been Off-Low-Med-MedHi-High

Old 04-12-14, 04:37 PM
Received 156 Likes on 142 Posts
Shut the power off to the circuit remove the speed control and wire nut the 2wires in the box together turn the power on then pull the pull chain on the fan to be sure it is set on Hi speed shut the power off then reinstall the speed control and turn the power back on,the reason for this is that there maybe 2speed controls in the circuit,it happened to me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: