LED and Incandescent on same circuit on two separate switches

Old 04-14-14, 08:44 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LED and Incandescent on same circuit on two separate switches

Hi all in my kitchen I have (9) 4" recessed cans with incandescent flood lights connected to a wall switch which is a lutron diva dimmer switch. I just installed uundercabinet lights that are all LED and connected via direct wire 120v 12 gauge romex which is connected to a wall switch which is a lutron diva dimmer switch.

When I have both switches on at the same time am I going to burn out my LEDs from the increased power load? Is there anything wrong with my setup? The dimming is not great and flickers so I was thinking of getting the led lutron diva dimmer for the led wall switch. Should I also get a dimmable led wall switch for the switch with the recessed incandescent light?

Old 04-14-14, 09:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Your load is extremely low for a 20A circuit. Your lights will operate fine on that circuit.
Replacing the LED dimmer is a good idea. You shouldn't need to change the other one unless it's defective.

Old 04-14-14, 09:47 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you, one reason I was concerned is when my undercabinet LED's are on, and then I turn on the diva dimmer switch with the 9 incandescent recessed lights, the undercabinet LED's appear to quickly flicker or change color temperature for a second.

And sorry to clarify, I have the LED's with 12 gauge romex, but the recessed lights use 14 gauge romex, and they are on a 15 amp circuit.

Old 04-14-14, 10:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
LED's are electronic light. They respond instantly to any voltage change. When you turn on your incandescent lights..... it's like a momentary dead short. That little flicker you see with the LED's is normal.

Still a lightly loaded circuit even on 15A.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: