Suggestions for fixture replacement

Old 04-17-14, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for fixture replacement

My current kitchen light fixture, which I think was installed in the late 70s to replace a mid 60s incandescent fixture, takes one 12" and one 16" Circline fluorescent bulb. They make the 12" in soft white but the 16" bulbs are made for garages and I couldn't find any in soft white. This light is used as ambient lighting for the living room as well as being the light for a kitchen with a 9' 5" x 7' 3" working space. One of the occupants has elderly eyes that get tired and I don't want to subject him to garage lighting. I figure it's time for a fixture upgrade. Any suggestions for a fixture that takes appropriate bulbs that I can expect to find replacements for in the future?

Name:  kitchen-light.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  43.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-14, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
Can you take a picture of the room with the light fixture in it? Or at least a wider picture of the ceiling with the light. My only concern is what you will have after the light is removed as far as discoloration or stains.

Also are you looking to just replace the fixture or are we talking some painting/wall repair? Do you have a budget?

Old 04-17-14, 07:46 PM
Phillips does make a 16'' soft white if that will satisfy your needs. You may have to look at a specialty lighting store though.
And I don't know what kind of lens you have for it, but a frosted lens will help cut down on glare.

Old 04-17-14, 08:09 PM
Stains are no problem because everything needs to be painted anyway, and I can spackle or plaster what I need to. But that's great that they make 16" soft white, I'll take it!. I may have to contact Philips to help me out with the model number or whatever they can give me. I checked the websites of Lowes, Home Depot, True Value, GE and now Philip's but none mention 16" soft white.

Oh, and all the shades on all the fixtures are frosted but I keep hearing about soft white bulbs being better on the eyes and they even make extra-soft ones, so I figured I should get soft white bulbs. Or at least bulbs with packaging that says they're meant for kitchens.

Old 04-18-14, 09:18 AM
If you do contact Phillips, ask them if they can point you to a nearby distributor carrying their product. This would likely be the cheaper option, but I would maybe work with Tolyn to find a replacement fixture that takes more common bulbs.

Old 04-18-14, 09:37 AM
I found 16" warm bulbs on the internet, then I did some research and it seems that warm and soft are similar or the same so maybe I'll go with warm. Now I have to re-check the major brands to see if they have warm. I read people praising warm as if being similar to the yellowish incandescent bulbs is a good thing, but I wasn't sure it was good. Now I think it's good enough. But a new fixture is still a possibility depending on how hard it is to get the warm...I'm still working on it...

Old 04-18-14, 12:13 PM
OK, I think I'll get a new fixture because I just read these comments on the 16" Satco S2954 3000K bulb on Amazon:

"Could not find this size bulb in this color in any stores"
"this style bulb in WARM WHITE (for kitchens & baths) are no longer sold at Home Depot nor Lowe's."

Too hard to find for comfort.

So here's the photo that Tolyn requested:

Name:  kitchen-light-from-dinette.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  43.9 KB

Old 04-19-14, 09:05 PM
I found something on a big box store's website that I may order. Not sure about the linking rules but here are some specs:

Fluorescent Light Type Flush mount
ENERGY STAR Qualified Yes
Bulb Type Required T8
Number of Bulbs Required 4.0
Maximum Fixture Wattage 68.0
Bulb Length (Inches) 24.0
Lens Type Frosted acrylic
Fixture Length (Inches) 28.25
Fixture Width (Inches) 15.63
Fixture Height (Inches) 4.63
Ballast Grade Residential
UL Safety Listing Yes
CSA Safety Listing Yes
ETL Safety Listing Yes
Title 24 Compliant Yes
Style Casual/Transitional
Light Bulb Base Type Medium bi-pin (T8)

T8 bulbs are available in color temperatures of 3500 and 3000 (among others) and those are the two I'll be choosing between. I like bright white but for my father's sake I'll probably get the 3000.

Old 04-20-14, 06:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
You still didn't mention what your budget was so I will assume less than $100.

You can post a picture for the light just so we can see what you see. (Right click the picture on the web page, copy image location, paste here) From the specs it sounds like it might be a good fit.

3500K is the whitest lamps I suggest to people in a home. Most cases warmer is better so a 3000K would likely be a good fit.

Old 04-20-14, 08:28 AM
Over $100 may be OK if I'd be getting more than just a nicer design, for example, if the diffuser was replaceable if it cracked or it was dimmable or the ballast had a better warranty or something like that. Here's the picture:

The only problem is, thanks to the professional Photoshopping or drawing, I don't really know what it looks like. If the ends are flat sheet metal it may not look good. If they're like rounded, well enameled caps it may be OK. I'm not sure if they have it on display in the store. I'm still looking.

Last edited by Borad; 04-20-14 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-20-14, 11:06 AM
May I suggest looking for a light with bronze endcaps so it somewhat matches your dining room fixture?

Old 04-20-14, 11:23 AM
Yes...I'm looking at some now. I read that chrome is more durable so I'd rather keep my faucets chrome, but then they wouldn't match a bronze light...I'm still thinking about it.