3 way switch driving me crazy

Old 04-17-14, 08:47 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 way switch driving me crazy

I am trying to replace a 3 way switch but I cant seem to get it working right. Its an old house and I am pretty sure the power is coming from the light first. There are only 3 wires in each switch box (and the colors don't match so I assume there is a junction box or two somewhere. I think I have the common (hot) in the first switch coming from the light. I have tried all three wires in the second box as the common but noting seems to be working. Anyone have any ideas? I thought I may have the wrong hot in the first box, but I put up my test light on the black and any other wire and it comes on. The light does not come on with any other wire combo.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-14, 09:22 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I am pretty sure the power is coming from the light first
Guessing won't help. Pull the light and see if you have a cable that measures 120 volts black to white when disconnected.
I think I have the common (hot) in the first switch coming from the light
First you need to determine where power comes in so pull the light and begin there.
I have tried all three wires in the second box as the common but noting seems to be working
To determine if a wire is hot you must disconnect it and measure to a known good ground or neutral*. However keep in mind only one of your two commons have a wire that is hot when disconnected. .
here are only 3 wires in each switch box (and the colors don't match so I assume there is a junction box or two somewhere
Pull out the switches, look in the back of the junction box. Did this ever work? Is this cable or conduit? What are the colors.

*Use ans extension cord as your reference neutral when determining if a wire is hot if there is no ground.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-17-14 at 09:41 PM.