Help with wiring Ceiling fan to dimmer to light fixture. how was it wired?

Old 04-20-14, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with wiring Ceiling fan to dimmer to light fixture. how was it wired?

So my grama bought a new ceiling fan and decicded to let her handyman install it, well he forgot how it was wired dummy should of took a pic or something. anyway in the ceiling fan juntion box theres the Hot cable(12/2) that comes from a on/off switch. and also in the ceiling fan junction theres a (14-2) cable to the dimmer switch, and 1 more (14-2) cable going to the light that dims. so 3 cables in the ceiling fan junction box, 3black,white,grounds.

It was wired to work so the basic on/off switch had to be on to bring power to the fan to bring power to the dimmer then light. and the fan we just used the pull cord to turn on/off and left the first switch on. (the fan has no light attached to it) and the dimmer is just for the light not the fan.

Oh and I think I fried the dimmer switches, they used to click when pushed in, thought it fried so I bought a new dimmer switch and after wiring it it didn't click anymore either so I think i fried em both somehow lol. any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by reddirtdog; 04-20-14 at 11:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-14, 05:35 AM
I did continuity tests so I know which cables go where, I just cant figure out how to wire them

Old 04-21-14, 07:38 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It was wired to work so the basic on/off switch had to be on to bring power to the fan to bring power to the dimmer then light. and the fan we just used the pull cord to turn on/off and left the first switch on. (the fan has no light attached to it) and the dimmer is just for the light not the fan.
I don't understand.
  • Are you saying the light is not at the fan?
  • How many wires at the switch?
  • What color wires connected to switch?

Old 04-21-14, 11:00 PM
Yeah the light that dims is a chandlier over the dinner table its a few feet away from the fan(no light on fan). one 14-2 cable goes from the chandlier light to the fan junction box, and one 14-2 cable goes from fan junction box to the dimmer, then a differnt on/off switch from the other side of the room brings power to the fan junction box (this 12-2 cable is the incoming hot thats usually left on and she used the pull cord to turn fan off and dimmer to turn chandlier off)

ahh i cant remeber how to dimmer was wired in black/white. I Think the black cable was going to the white on the dimmer but i'd have to double check, I wired the dimmer the same way i took it off. Im not very familiar working with dimmer switches I tought it seemed odd but it worked before.