Dusk to Dawn security lights

Old 04-23-14, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dusk to Dawn security lights

I have an metal barn with the ribs on the metal guess that what they are called the metal not smooth but ribs on it.
I want to put Dusk to Dawn Light on the barn but am having an hard time figuring out how to mount the light to the barn because of the ribs.
Any advice would be welcome, And any suggestions on the type of lights it is very dark going out to see about the animals at night.
George

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-14, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
The mounting of an outdoor fixture will depend on the type of light.
Do you have any idea what type of light you'd want ?

You could use basic sealed beam floodlamps.

You could use the basic streetlight fixture. It uses a 175w metal halide lamp. Comes with a photocell.
Name:  DusktoDawn.png
Views: 2472
Size:  36.3 KB

This is a 22-25watt LED fixture. Also comes with photocell.
Name:  led.jpg
Views: 1472
Size:  21.0 KB

Old 04-23-14, 08:03 PM
If you take a picture of where you want to mount it, and another picture of the part of the your light that mounts to the wall, we will be better able to help you.

Old 04-24-14, 05:29 AM
This is where I want to put the lights. This option was suggest but turned down looks horrible and not good at all.
The steel building has no wood 99 % steel .
As for the lights I was thinking of the led version. Or the sealed flood lights .
Thanks

Attached Images  
Old 04-24-14, 05:33 AM
This is just like my steel building with the rids in the steel .but that where I want to put lights on my building but not like this..

Old 04-24-14, 05:36 AM
Another picture of the other guys barn . My is the same setup barn, sorry about the pictures been side ways on my computer they were in correct position

Name:  geo.jpg
Views: 1912
Size:  37.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-24-14 at 05:24 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Old 04-24-14, 05:45 AM
Received 118 Votes on 108 Posts
The only reasonable way is to use a piece of wood (treated if you want) bolted to the barn then mounting the light to the wood. If done right it will look and be professional.

Last edited by Norm201; 04-24-14 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-24-14, 07:09 AM
You can screw the base of the light directly to the building. Self-drilling metal screws would make it easier. If the base of the light you choose bridges across the metal ribs, this will leave gaps around the base. If the gaps are less than 1/4" high, you can just fill the gaps with a paintable, silicone caulk. If the gaps are higher, stuff some foam in the gaps first, then caulk. After the caulk dries, paint it to match the building.

Old 04-24-14, 09:45 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I wouldn't mount a light like this just to the metal siding. That's not made to support the weight or provide for a box, if you need one. I would, however, mount it to siding that was backed with framed-in wood that could provide the support for both the light and any needed box.

Rotated images:

Name:  Barn light 1.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  36.1 KB

Name:  Barn Light 2.jpg
Views: 2025
Size:  20.8 KB

Old 04-24-14, 05:06 PM
Since the outside walls have ribs on it, If I pop rivet a piece of metal to a couple of the raised ribs. Would that spread out the weight of the light? and give a smooth surface to fashion the light too. Since my barn is so big I was thinking of the street light fixture pjmax posted above.

Old 04-24-14, 05:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
To use the streetlight type fixture...... you would need to spread the weight out over a wide area.

Old 04-24-14, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Here is a picture of our barn with, what was a HPS light that crapped out, and now it is a CFL light. (I rewired it ) I cut some wood the same size of the light and painted it the same color of the light. Not how I had to cut one side at an angle. I screwed that to the barn tin but my light is all plastic. PJ's light I think would be pretty heavy hanging out on that arm for just attaching it to the tin.

You have no framing on the inside? I would get some framing on the inside and attach a round weather proof box to that. Then connect your light to that. Although some of the lights like PJ posted just have a cord that comes out the bottom that you run to a weather proof box. Then what you would need is to just attach the arm to some kind of framing on the inside.

IIRC my light was about $25 for the HPS which is a dull orange light. I do like the CFL better which is a 120 watt equivalent and have never had a problem with it working in the winter at -20f. My light is called a wall pack.

Old 04-24-14, 08:04 PM
Ironhand how much light does that cfl put out ? I realize that I have to think of the weight of the light fixture. I have looked at the wall packs on here but was concerned about the amount of light they gave off.

Old 04-24-14, 09:26 PM
A wall pack can put out enough light to light up a parking lot. Which ones were you looking at?

Old 04-25-14, 05:14 AM
Nashkat1 I really do not know much about wall packs .. I do want to light up a big area ,but not sure of the light .I am always looking for advice and the members on this site has help me before
with a project.
all I know is the street lights now there the LED and this and that.
What wall packs will light up the parking lot?
I want to thank all the members on here for taking time to give me advice..George

Old 04-25-14, 08:00 AM
What wall packs will light up the parking lot?
Many will. Figure out how much light (how many lumens) you want and how high your light will be, then look for wall packs that meet your needs. I would also get one that's "dark sky" compliant.

Old 04-26-14, 08:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Ironhand how much light does that cfl put out
It is hard to say because everybody views the amount of light differently. One person will say it is plenty bright, while other will not.

It is listed at about 2000 lumens. It lights up the front of the barn pretty well, better that the HPS that was in it before, and it is enough to see walking to the barn so that you are not tripping over stuff. I'm not trying to land aircraft.

My suggestion is to buy a light (or lights) that use a "standard" medium base lamp. That way you will have a large amount of options for lamp types (Incandescent, CFL, LED) and can change them as technology changes. What kind of budget are we look at here?

I would also get one that's "dark sky" compliant.
Not sure if this is an issue unless you have neighbors close by.

Another option: What about a pole light like you see on farms?

Old 05-25-14, 04:44 PM
Hi I have ordered and just received Rab wall packs 20 LED.
Also I got an Rab rectangular shape 40 w led floodlight with trunnion mount
Bracket. These are suppose to last a long time like 29 years or so.
The wall packs are surface or junction box mountable.
Since my barn has ribs on the steel, I had an ideal about using a piece of conduit to fashion it to. Since this light has a junction box on it with a hole in back for screw in conduit.
Could I put a box inside the barn run conduit from it to the wall pack ?
Or should I just use a piece of wood to mount the light on then bolt that Wood to the frame work inside the barn