New Light Fixture requires a box and I don't have one.

Old 05-08-14, 06:14 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Light Fixture requires a box and I don't have one.

Hi,

This is a little complicated. I recently had my skylights replaced and they looked so nice, I decided to leave the shaft open so I could see the sky. The skylights all have old crappy bulb fixtures in them (why I have no idea) and I can't access the wires to kill the unnecessary fixtures. My house has a flat roof and no attic; if I want to access ceiling wires, I have to pull down the ceiling.

So, okay, I decided to live with the problem and bought new fixtures (expensive ones, too) to replace them with. When I pulled down the old fixtures while repainting the skylight shaft, I found that the wires just come from a hole in the 2X10 that makes up the shaft. That didn't bother me until I unpacked my new fixtures and find that they require a junction box. The fixtures are flush-mounted sconces and there is no room for wiring behind the fixture. I couldn't even get a wire nut in the space in the fixture.

I could just attach a junction box but that would look dumb on a flush mount.
I thought about just drilling some large diameter holes in the 2X10 and push the wire nuts holding the wires in there, but that strikes me as dangerous.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-08-14, 06:35 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Is the 2x10 covered by ˝" Sheetrock. If so and there are only two wires you may be able to use a pancake box. Otherwise I'd cut a hole in the 2x10 for a switch box. Pictures may help us give you more ideas. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 05-08-14, 06:53 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No, no sheetrock. Just wood. I scraped and sanded and repainted and all. I'm a little hesitant to cut a hole because I don't know what's behind the wood or how the wires are drawn.

The pancake box is worth a try. I might be able to carve out enough from the 2x10 to insert the pancake box. Let me try that! I'll get back to you.

Mahalo!

Old 05-08-14, 11:51 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Many houses in Hawaii are built with construction techniques that are totally alien to the mainland. Some sconce-type light fixtures are made to allow the use of a surface-mounted pancake box so try that before doing any wood butchery. If your sconces don't have this ability it may be possible to surface mount the pancake box and then use a wooden escutcheon around the box for the back of the sconce to rest upon.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: