LED and Dimmable Switches - flickering and inconsistent on/off

Old 05-09-14, 06:49 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LED and Dimmable Switches - flickering and inconsistent on/off

I'm remodeling my basement and am at the point of finally putting bulbs into my recessed light fixtures. It is a basic 20A circuit with 3 way LED dimmable switches. I also bought bulbs that are supposed to be specifically compatible with this switch (details below). When I turn them on they either don't come on, or they seriously flicker/flash. Very inconsistent. If I turn the dimmer all the way down and then all the way back up they might all come on. But nothing consistent.

Pretty basic 3 way switch wiring with 4 recessed lights. (i.e. the power and wiring seem just fine).

--Lutron Switch
--Cree Bulbs

--Lutron compatibility resource (see page 27 for my bulb): http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum..._Bulb_list.pdf

Thoughts? Help? I'm stumped, and getting frustrated.

Attached Images     
Old 05-11-14, 05:57 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What happens if you use incandescent bulbs? Does it work?

Old 05-11-14, 11:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,082 Upvotes on 3,665 Posts
The problem is most dimmers require 40 watts of load or better on them to operate properly. The load wattage is used as part of the actual dimming circuit. In your case you're connecting 9.5x4=38 watts.

Old 05-11-14, 01:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Upvotes on 760 Posts
Have you tried to adjust the dimming range? Some LEDs require some adjustments.

I have had some issues with Cree lamps. Even though they list the lamp as compatible with the dimmer, there still may be some issues. I installed some A19 LED bulbs on a fixture and had a hard time finding a dimmer that did not cause a buzzing noise. $80 later I found one.

Old 03-26-15, 07:58 PM
K
You mind sharing the model dimmer that worked for you. I'm also having flickering issues.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: