Is this a proper ceiling fan electrical box?

Old 05-16-14, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Is this a proper ceiling fan electrical box?

About to install a ceiling fan in my bedroom. The current light box is located between two joists. I pulled out the old box to see if it said it was properly rated for fans, however, because of all the spray texture inside the box, I'm just not sure.

Here's a photo of the box itself, and the bracket that is inside the ceiling.

Name:  fan box 1.jpg
Views: 2274
Size:  27.2 KB

Name:  fan box 2.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  39.9 KB

The only text I can make out on the box is in the center - it says, "Require Union #36 Clamp Only."

Any thoughts as to if this is a properly rated ceiling fan box. And if it's not, how exactly should I get the current support bracket out? I do not have attic access to this box, unfortunately.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-14, 01:06 PM
Also, there was a barcode on the side with what looks like a model number (3090-95). This looks like it...

Union 3090-95 3-1/2 In Round Phenolic Ceiling / Fixture Outlet Box w/ 24 In Adjustable Bar Hanger & High Clamps; 13.5 cubic Inches - Crescent Electric Supply Company

The description says it will support up to a 50 pound fixture and my fan is 30 pounds. Think this will work? My only minor concern is that the brace has the slightest bit of wiggle (up/down only and maybe like an 1/8 of an inch). I would figure that with everything properly tightened, the weight of the fan should cancel that out, right?

Old 05-16-14, 01:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
According to manufacturer's statement it will hold up to 50#, and the holding screws appear to be 10-32 as required by code, and the tubes go all the way to the base of the box, and not just "ears" as with normal boxes.

Old 05-16-14, 01:35 PM
I actually just called the manufacturer, and he said even though it can hold a 50# fixture, he wouldn't recommend using it for a fan since their technical documentation does not state that it is fan-rated.

That being said, how do I remove the bar? Just pull and wiggle the hell out of it?

Old 05-16-14, 01:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
You will probably need to cut the bar out of the way.

Old 05-16-14, 02:52 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It isn't really the weight that makes a ceiling fan box as it is if it is rated for a dynamic load. That box was only probably tested for a static load like a heavy chandelier.

Old 05-16-14, 07:23 PM
I ended up just moving a few inches up the ceiling and putting the new bar in there. Worked just fine and I'll use the drywall hole I cut out to patch the old one.

One final question though...I meticulously followed every step in the manual, and the install looks nice and sturdy. However, when the fan is on the highest speed, I can notice just the tiniest bit of wobble. Nothing major, it's not making noise or anything like that. Just wondering if that is somewhat standard with fans that are installed on an angled ceiling with a down rod (I'm used to flush mount fans that show no signs of wiggle)?

Old 05-17-14, 05:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Usually balancing is needed on downrod installations. Your fan should have come with a balancing kit. Tedious to get all the wobble out, but it can be done.