Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

Help with wiring changing a keyless plastic lampshade to a new ceiling fixture

Old 05-16-14, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My basement was recently finished and I now want to change out the keyless lampshades to nicer fixtures. Since I bought my home I have installed a chandelier, 3 ceiling fans, and also flush mount fixtures. I'm not an expert but have changed out light fixtures a few times.

My basement had 2 fixtures that I wanted to replace. When I took down the first fixture, I noticed that there were 4 wires attached (2 black and 2 white) coming from the ceiling. I made a note of which ones for each to use for the new fixture. By the way, the new fixture has the wire clips on them. I am not familiar with these either. I have always used, wire nuts.

Anyway, I successfully installed the first fixture using 1 black and 1 white wire from the ceiling with the wires on the fixture. I noticed then that the other fixture was no longer working. I checked the bulb it was good and I still proceeded to trying to install the new fixture. When I pulled out the wiring for the 2nd fixture there was only 1 black and 1 white. I connected it the same as the other, it is still not working.

To test to see if the two fixtures are related in some way, I left the new fixture up in the 2nd installation (2 ceiling wires) and put the old fixture back up in the first installation (4 ceiling wires). Both lights are now working again.

Any thoughts on how this should be wired to get both working with the new fixtures?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-14, 09:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The first fixture feeds the second. At the first light connect all blacks. Second Connect all whites. Simple rule when changing a light fixture connect the new one the same way. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it. Just go with the flow.

Old 05-17-14, 05:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your response. Since the new fixture has these wire clips only one wire is able to fit in the open end. Should I remove the wire clips all together and use wire nuts instead?

Old 05-17-14, 05:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If the push connectors don't have enough holes for your wires, yes, you can clip them off and use wire nuts. Another good method is use your phone to take pictures of the original wiring before you dismantle it.

Old 05-17-14, 08:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Pigtail the two blacks. Pigtail the two whites. Insert the pigtails into the clips.