Adding a ceiling fan with switched outlet

Old 05-22-14, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding a ceiling fan with switched outlet

Alright guys so I am installing ceiling fans in my 3 guest rooms. None of the rooms have any wiring for them but all rooms have a switched outlet. I have already ran my 14-2 wire from my fan boxes to switch boxes. Now I am lost. In my switch box I have single pole switch with white black and ground. Then in the outlet box that the switch controls I have 2 sets of 14-2 wires. I have white and black wire nut together, one black going to bottom right of outlet, one white going to top left of outlet and none of the tabs on side of outlet are broke. And grounds are tied together and go to ground of outlet. What do I need to do to have the fan working on one switch and have the outlet continue to be switched?

Thanks
Brandon

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-14, 10:39 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
From a previous reply here is basic instructions:
Switch box is better because there is a maximum number of wires a box can hold. Run 14-3(+ground) from a fan rated ceiling box to the switch if it is a 15 amp breaker. Run 12-3 if it is a 20 amp breaker. If the receptacle has the tab on the brass side removed replace the receptacle with one with the tab intact.

At the receptacle:
  • Disconnect all wires except grounds.
  • Connect all blacks to a pigtail.
  • Connect all whites to a pigtail.
  • Connect the black pigtail to the brass side and white pigtail to the silver side of the receptacle.
  • If any red wires stop and post back for further instructions.
At the switch the red of the 3-conductor cable will only be used if you want separate switches for fan and light. Instruction are for one switch with the red of the 3-conductor cable capped on both ends. You can use xx-2 if you are sure you will never want two switches.
  • Connect the whites to each other.
  • Connect the blacks to the switch.
  • Connect the grounds to each other and pigtail to the box if it is metal. Pigtail to the switch if a nonmetallic box.
At the fan:
  • Blue and both blacks connected to each other.
  • Whites connected to each other.
  • Red not used if a single switch.
  • Grounds connected to each other and pigtailed to the box if metal.

Old 05-23-14, 04:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ok. I want to make sure I understand this. Attach the black pig tail wire to the top right brass screw and attach the white pigtail wire to the bottom silver screw? And then in the switch box connect the white wires from the outlet and from the fan together and then attach the black wire from the fan to the switch and connect the black wire from the outlet to the other switch? Do the black wires need to be attached to the top or bottom screw of the switch?

Old 05-23-14, 08:20 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
ok. I want to make sure I understand this. Attach the black pig tail wire to the top right brass screw and attach the white pigtail wire to the bottom silver screw?
A receptacle has no top or bottom and it can be either brass screw and either silver screw (unless a GFCI).
in the switch box connect the white wires from the outlet and from the fan together
Yes.
and then attach the black wire from the fan to the switch and connect the black wire from the outlet to the other switch?
What other switch? There will be only one switch. The switch for the fan. There will be no switch for the receptacle. It will now be always on.
Do the black wires need to be attached to the top or bottom screw of the switch?
One switch, two wires, two screws. One wire to each screw.

If you want the receptacle to still be switched you will need to run additional cables.

Last edited by ray2047; 05-23-14 at 08:35 AM.