Will my ceiling outlet box support my fan?

Old 05-27-14, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Will my ceiling outlet box support my fan?

Hi all, thanks for any help you can offer. I wanted to replace my ceiling light fixture with a fan but I'm not sure it will support it.

I've looked at the Slater catalog, since that's what my box is labeled as, and at several posts on this forum but I wanted to post some pics and ask what you guys think.

All I know about it is it only says for fixture support, nothing about any max weight or that its for fan support. I couldn't find any model number to look it up. From the slater catalog mine looks almost identical to 2 different models, one says its for fan support and the other doesn't mention fan support although both claim to support a max 50 lbs. Now there's a sticker on my fan that says to make sure the outlet box can support 35 lbs. So my hope is that even if it wasn't made specifically for fans it can well support the weight.

Other than that, the screws look like they go all the way to the back of the box and I'm almost positive its mounted directly to a joist by means of cheap stud finder and just knocking/pressing on ceiling. I can't access the attic at all. Here are a couple of pics, thanks for all the help ladies and gentlemen.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-14, 10:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 516 Votes on 486 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That's definitely a nail-on 4" round box. From the surface it's next to impossible to tell if it's rated for fan duty. A fan is not just weight.... it's also dynamic load because it moves.

I don't trust plastic boxes for fan duty. If that was a job where I was called to mount a fan.... I'd change it to a metal box. That's really about all I can offer you.

Old 05-28-14, 02:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I agree with Pete, as there is no sign of internal support, I believe it is a nail on, too, which won't handle the movements of a fan. You may want to consider one of these:

Name:  fan rated box.jpg
Views: 2718
Size:  26.7 KB

Name:  fan rated box 2.jpg
Views: 2879
Size:  6.3 KB

Old 05-28-14, 03:27 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Or this:

Name:  FanBox_Instalation_zps1d34c538.jpg
Views: 5637
Size:  40.3 KB

Old 05-28-14, 05:48 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone. Ill just have to put the light fixture back up since I live in a rental. Better to be safe than sorry. Thanks again.

Old 05-28-14, 06:06 PM
The product that Ray showed and is "idiot-proof" as I can attest to. Very strong and stable and also can work in a vaulted truss ceiling. I think I got mine at a big box store. All you need is a hole big enough for a box or your hand and most cover plates for fixtures or fans will cover the hole. I installed one on a vaulted ceiling with scissor trusses 24" o.c. (2/12 bottoms and 3/12 or 4/12 on the tops). Hung the big 52" fan about 6 years ago and the fan has been 24/7 since then.

Dick

Old 05-28-14, 06:28 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
But Dick, the liability for him as a renter is too great for him to do any electrical work.