Should I ground the project box?

Old 05-28-14, 07:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should I ground the project box?

Hi!

First post!

I'm building a DIY LED fixture, for my aquarium. I want to put my two Meanwell ELN-60-48D LED drivers in a project box and have one main power cord supplying both drivers.

The driver AC-in, only has two strands; + and -. My worry is that if I do not ground the aluminum project box, that it may become a safety hazard. If one hot wire accidentally touches the project box, would not a person touching it receive a shock?

Would grounding the project box be as easy as using a three stranded power cord and securing the ground lead to the box?

Greetings from Norway!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-14, 08:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 406 Votes on 382 Posts
Welocme to the forums.

Would grounding the project box be as easy as using a three stranded power cord and securing the ground lead to the box?
Yes... you could connect the ground wire to your aluminum case.

The only thing that troubles me is the heat generated by the two power supplies and being trapped in a single case. You don't want the supplies to overheat.

Old 05-28-14, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

Yeah, I've thought of that. The working temperature range for the Meanwell ELN-60-48D LED driver, stated in it's data sheet, is -20 degrees Celsius to +60 degrees Celsius (http://www.meanwell.com/search/eln-60/ELN-60-spec.pdf). I will monitor the air temperature inside the case, while running the drivers for a few hours. If the project box does not dissipate enough heat, and the air temperature in the box rises too much, I will drill out a vent hole. If the hole alone is enough, then I'll cover it with a grill. If it still gets to hot inside the project box I could mount a 12V 120mm computer fan over the vent hole.

Old 05-28-14, 09:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 406 Votes on 382 Posts
Very good..... just wanted to make you aware of the heat issue. Sounds like you have it covered.