Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

Recessed Lights : Cutting holes in ceiling which match installed BT-1200 boxes

Old 05-12-14, 05:46 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi there!

I'm renovating my home and in the basement I already have installed Bazz BT-1200 boxes for recessed lights. The ceiling will be insulated.

For aesthetics reasons, I want to close the ceiling with "Gyproc" not with a hanging ceiling.

How can I accurately determine the exact position of the boxes once the "Gyproc" has been installed in order to cut holes which match with great precision the ones of the installed BT-1200 boxes?

Many thanks in advance for your help/tips!

Old 05-12-14, 06:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The approximate center of the light fixture is measured, then is marked on the ceiling after the sheet is tacked up, then a router (rotozip) and bit is used to router the gypsum out, which- when you do it carefully- will match the hole in the light fixture exactly. The wires have to be up and out of the way so that the router bit doesn't cut them. After the hole is cut out, then the rest of the sheet can be screwed/nailed to the joists.

Old 05-15-14, 05:56 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
You can also measure the location of the fixture center line from the ajcent sheet of roc and transfer that to the sheet of roc to be hung,then use a drywall saw to cut the hole make that hole smaller than the actual fixture size at first than refine it after the roc is hung,a Rotozip can bea bit tricky if you haven't used one before.
Geo

Old 05-18-14, 03:28 AM
G
Thank you very much "XSleeper" and "Geochurchi" !
I understand both solutions you suggested.
The "secret" to be successful make is measures precision...

Old 05-18-14, 10:56 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Another secret is to put lipstick or shoe polish around the rim of each light can, then raise the sheetrock up into place, and 'kiss' each can.. They will deposit rings onto the back of the sheet in their exact positions.

They also make hole saws in the correct sizes for can lights - so all you have to do is drill them out.

Old 05-18-14, 11:12 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I have a set of these on my trailer. You screw a magnet into the socket, install the rock and come back with a locator tool which has another magnet in it. It will give you your centerline. Not sure if that is what you are looking for. Crorey Builders Inc. Center Mark Drywall Recessed Light Fixture Locator Tool Kit (3-Piece)-CMCK at The Home Depot

Old 05-18-14, 11:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Larry... or you can do what some guys accidentally do... sheetrock over all the lights and then later when they figure out what they've done, try and run their hand over the ceiling to find the "hot spot" where the lightbulb is before it catches the paper on fire.

Old 05-18-14, 12:29 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Ouch. I would probably not have installed a bulb prior to that, making it even more difficult.

Old 05-18-14, 08:34 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chandler
I have a set of these on my trailer. You screw a magnet into the socket, install the rock and come back with a locator tool which has another magnet in it. It will give you your centerline. Not sure if that is what you are looking for. Crorey Builders Inc. Center Mark Drywall Recessed Light Fixture Locator Tool Kit (3-Piece)-CMCK at The Home Depot
Ok now THAT is genius. Wish I had thought of it, I'd be a bazillionaire.

Old 05-29-14, 07:36 AM
G
Thanks very much everybody for your valuable help (tips and suggestions).
Very interesting and creative solutions!

PS: I've been abroad for the last ten days, it's the reason of my silence.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: