New Broan fan/light/nightlight wiring with multi control switch

Old 05-29-14, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Broan fan/light/nightlight wiring with multi control switch

I bought a new bathroom fan that has a light, nightlight and fan. The required wiring in the instructions is shown below. I currently have a fan installed, and there is normal 14/2 running to the connection. The power comes in at the switch on the wall, not up at the fan.

Is there a way for me to have this multi-function ability (the light on without the fan on for example) without having to run new cables down to the switch? I can't think of a way to do this, but figured it was worth asking.

There is a similar thread on this forum where another person is hooking up the same light, and just has his normal switch controlling both the fan and the light at the same time. Here is the link to that thread: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...remodel.html#b I suppose I could do that as well, but it would be nice to be able to use the multi control functionality.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-14, 01:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
From the diagram the wiring is pretty simple. Just run 14-4 cable between the switch and the fixture. You could alternately use ENT non metallic flex conduit (AKA Smurf tubing) with 4 conductors and a ground wire.

Old 05-29-14, 01:57 PM
Yeah I know I could run a new cable from the switch to the fixture, but the cable run is not easy in the least (hard to explain, but its not). So I was hoping against hope that maybe there was a way to do this WITHOUT running new cable, although I can't think of it.

Old 05-29-14, 02:09 PM
Group Moderator
What difficulties do you face with the cable run?

Old 05-29-14, 02:22 PM
A somewhat inaccessible header that I would need to drill through (from the attic) to fish the new 14/4 cable down to the switch. Additionally, I wouldn't be able to secure the new 14/4 run to anything as it is behind drywall. The new run would just be loosely hanging in behind the drywall. I realize I could remove the drywall, but I literally (like 2 weeks ago) just put it up during my bathroom renovation. However, I foolishly hadn't thought of my wiring needs for the new fan. I could remove the existing 14/2 run and replace it with the 14/4, which would remove the need to drill another hole through the header, but I would still have to remove the drywall in this scenario.

I am loathe to remove the drywall yet again just to allow the multi-function fan to work. I would rather just have the one switch control both the light and the fan at the same time.

Old 05-29-14, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
The new run would just be loosely hanging in behind the drywall.
That is the way it is done and is code compliant so not a problem.
I could remove the existing 14/2 run
You do not remove. You cut off enough it can't be used and abandon in place. With a flex bit you can dill a hole in the header from the opening left when you remove the switch box. An alternative way is to cut a a small 2"x8" opening in the wall just below the header and use a right angle drill or straight drill with a right angle adapter to drill a hole in the header. If the wall isn't load bearing another alternate is to notch the header and cover with a nail plate. Bottom line you do not need to remove large sections of wall board or tile.

Old 05-29-14, 05:55 PM
Received 60 Votes on 57 Posts
I did this exact same thing with the same model unit. But I used one of those 3 gang switches in one housing. I don't recall running any extra wires. Each part is switched separately and I only have one power line going to the unit. If I remember correctly the fan/light/night light has all internal wireing to allow only one power line to operate all three items independently.

Old 05-29-14, 09:26 PM
How did you do it without having 3 wires running from the multicontrol to the fixture? The diagram clearly shows that this is needed. I don't see how this would have worked.

Old 05-30-14, 07:56 PM
How did you do it without having 3 wires running from the multicontrol to the fixture? The diagram clearly shows that this is needed. I don't see how this would have worked.
You're right. I did have to run another wire up. And I also had trouble going trough a sill plate to get to the switch. I kept hitting a metal hanger. It was right next to the door frame. Don't remember exactly how I did it. I took detail photos of almost everything but not that.

You can see what I did in this photo album
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=C4A58...703C56D6F!2510
Look at the #71thru #77 range of pics.

Last edited by ray2047; 05-30-14 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Fix quote foemating.
Old 05-30-14, 08:43 PM
Group Moderator
I think Norm meant another cable. You can't just run a wire.

Old 05-31-14, 05:01 AM
Yes, yes, I did mean cable. Thanks, Ray.

Old 05-31-14, 09:26 AM
Group Moderator
Have you looked into using a remote. Not much experience with them so I can't say what is available. Examples: Multi Function Switches BathroomFanExperts.com

Old 05-31-14, 12:54 PM
Is there any danger if I was to hook up the black from my existing 14/2 run, to the black (fan) and blue (2 lights) from the fixture? So I would have all three wires (black, black and blue) in one marret, and then all three white wires in another marret. The red and white wires from the night light would just be left free and not attached to anything.

Obviously I would not have the multifunction ability, but it isn't really a big deal to me. Turning on the switch would turn the fan and the 2 lights on. Is this allowed by code?

There was a thread where another poster was asking this exact question and the responses were that it should be fine, but I would like to double check. Here is that thread: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...o-remodel.html

Old 05-31-14, 01:00 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, that would work.

Old 05-31-14, 01:29 PM
Yes, I realize it will work, I was wondering if there would be any code violations or danger from doing this. I can't think of anything, but I am a rank amateur (in case you can't tell, lol). Thanks for all the help ray, it is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-31-14, 02:56 PM
Group Moderator
No code violation. ( I would have said no if it was a code violation.)

Old 05-31-14, 03:07 PM
Okay, thanks again, you've been greatly helpful.