No ground wire for Fluorescent fixture

Old 05-30-14, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No ground wire for Fluorescent fixture

I just got a new fluorescent kitchen light with an electronic ballast and I want to install it but there's no ground wire or grounding screw in the ceiling. I'm not surprised because the building was built in the mid 60s and whenever I replace a light switch I see the same thing.

I read a tutorial called "How to Replace a Ceiling Light With No Ground" that says "Look inside the electrical box for a green screw. If your box does not have this screw, obtain one at a lighting supply or home improvement center...Attach the green screw through any one of the mounting holes located in the top of the electrical box. [I'm guessing "top" isn't the correct word because the holes are almost ceiling level]. Cut a 8 inch length of 14-gauge bare copper wire. Wrap one end of the bare wire around the green screw in the electrical box. Tighten the green screw.

Instead of buying a green screw could I just use the plain old screw from my old fixture and connect the 14-guage bare copper wire to the mounting bracket that's screwed into the box in the ceiling? Do people bother doing this when there's no existing ground? It would be my only grounded fixture if I did this.

Name:  kitchen-wiring.jpg
Views: 3466
Size:  29.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-14, 04:50 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
They meant the mounting holes of the box not the fixture. The screw doesn't have to be green & you can drill a hole anywhere, in the box. Just make sure that you don't pierce any wires when you drill.