Need help ASAP please breaker trips when lights turned off

Old 05-30-14, 02:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help ASAP please breaker trips when lights turned off

Hello and thanks for your time in reading this, here's what's I installed 2 recessed lights and a new switch ( no switch before ) I pulled power from a line coming directly from the breaker box that goes to an outlet ( tapped in right before the outlet ) ran a line from there to the switch ( new switch ) from the switch to L1 then from L1 to L2 ends at L2, when the breaker is turned on the lights are on even the the switch is in the off position ( switch is not wired upside down ) when you turn lights of at switch the breaker trips and will not be reset while switch is in on position. Wiring is 14/2 romex through out I have installed a similar set up with 5 lights 2 separate switches without any issue and have done similar work through out my house never encountered anything like this any help is greatly appreciated !!!
Respectfully Lukus

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-14, 03:45 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Did you get the neutral from the same outlet? What else is on that circuit? It's not just that one outlet. There has to be more.

Old 05-30-14, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
switch is not wired upside down
A switch has no up or down and on a non 3-way switch the terminals are interchangeable. At the switch did you tie the neutrals (whites) only to each other and the blacks to the switch terminals?

Name:  sw_circuit-1.jpg
Views: 4581
Size:  18.4 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 05-30-14 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-30-14, 07:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It almost sounds like you used a 3-way switch.. Which in itself wouldn't be a problem unless the unused screw is touching ground.

There's really no other explanation for the circuit to be shorted while the switch is 'off' unless of course the switch has an internal short to ground.. With the breaker off and the switch off, get a multimeter and test for continuity between the screws and the metal mounting frame of the switch. If you have continuity, then the switch is defective.

Old 05-31-14, 05:31 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
Sounds like you have connected the line across the switch and the feed directly to the light fixture,follow Rays drawing.
Geo

Old 05-31-14, 01:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Geochurchi View Post
Sounds like you have connected the line across the switch and the feed directly to the light fixture,follow Rays drawing.
Geo
There's absolutely no mistake you could make with a regular non-3 way switch that would cause a short only with the switch in the off position.

Old 06-03-14, 02:50 PM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
You are absolutely right, I miss read the article.
Geo

Old 06-25-14, 08:34 PM
Thank you for posting this! You saved me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33759[/ATTACH]

I just installed some canister lights and wired a new circuit. The breaker tripped. After a google search, I found your diagram and problem solved.

Attached Images