Ceiling fan wiring from a light fixture to a ceiling fan

Old 05-31-14, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan wiring from a light fixture to a ceiling fan

Hi all! I am pretty new to wiring in general, I've moved some switches and replaced fixtures but this is my first time doing a ceiling fan.

Obviously I thought that this was going to be pretty simple but have been confounded by a lack of a ground wire coming from the box.

Anyway, first a little explanation about my house. It is a town home from about 2006. We bought pre construction and they had a ceiling fan at the time but we had them remove it and cap it. Now we of course want one there!

So I am in need of advise here. The ceiling has a double white and a single yellow coming from it. I don't see any ground wire. The ceiling fan has a black (motor) blue (light, but there is no light on this fan) and a white (neutral). Also the home is all conduit The bracket has a ground wire but I have no idea where to connect it or the other wires Any help would be so appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-14, 08:24 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Obviously I thought that this was going to be pretty simple but have been confounded by a lack of a ground wire coming from the box.
Grounds are not needed for a fixture to function. They are for safety. The conduit is your ground. If the box has a tapped 10-32 hole for a ground screw you pigtail any fan grounds to that screw. If no hole you use a ground clip on the box.

Old 06-04-14, 06:37 AM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
2 whites? Are they wirenutted together? Connect the white from the fan to the 2 whites if they are,and connect the black from the fan to the yellow, you may want to shut the power off and pull the switch out to be sure the yellow is connected to one side of the switch.
Geo