Ceiling fan controlled independently

Old 06-01-14, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan controlled independently

Hello folks, New member here

So this is my project. I currently have a switch that when on, you can turn the light from the pull chain and the fan from the pull chain. if you turn the switch off, nothing works. I would like to either control the light from the switch and if possible (my best set up) is to control both the fan and the switch from independent switches like the picture attached. I am not an electrician, but I am very handy with tools an shave basic knowledge. Thanks

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-14, 09:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Looking at what you have for wiring it is not possible without adding a wire. If you have conduit you might be able to just add another wire going to the fan. If not, you would need to fish another cable from the switch box to the fan.

An easier answer is to add a remote control. If you get one with a hand held remote your switch will turn on the light, and then the remote will operate the fan and dim the lights, or turn them off. (If compatible) They also make remotes that replace the wall switch, and work much the same way, they are just not as easy to flip on as a standard wall switch.

Old 06-01-14, 09:23 AM
adding a wire is not possible without tearing out the sheet rock. and since this is a rented house can't to that. Appreciate the quick response!

Can you enlighten me on this remote control idea? links?

Thanks

Old 06-01-14, 10:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Here is just one example or the hand held remote: Hunter Universal 3-Speed Ceiling Fan Control-99110 at The Home Depot

And the wall remote: Hunter Universal Wall Mount Ceiling Fan Control-99111 at The Home Depot

You should be able to get these, or something similar, at any big box, hardware, or online store. As mentioned, the wall remote replaces the wall switch (you bypass the switch), while the hand held one you use the existing switch. Either way you will add the receiver in the canopy of the fan.

since this is a rented house can't to that.
In most cases only an electrical contractor, or homeowner, may do electrical work in a house.

Old 06-01-14, 12:25 PM
thanks.

I really like this one

Hunter Universal Wall Mount Ceiling Fan Control-99111 at The Home Depot

so you are saying this one will work with the wiring that I currently have? Also, how hard would you say is to install the unit inside the fan canopy?

TIA