Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

Installing ceiling fan, need help understanding existing wires (pics included)

Old 06-01-14, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm installing a ceiling fan into an existing ceiling junction box that was wired but DIDN'T have a light in it yet--it was just covered with a plate. The instructions for the fan say to connect the white wire to the white wire from the ceiling, black to black, and the green ground to bare copper.

Here's the problem: Coming out of the ceiling are a bundle of three white wires twisted and capped off, a bundle of three red wires twisted and capped, one orange wire, and one yellow wire. There doesn't appear to be any grounding wire, or a green screw in the junction box to attatch a ground to. The house was built in 1999.

There are two light switches that will control this fixture. One switch has an orange wire in the hot connection, with a red wire in neutral, and the other switch has a yellow wire in hot and again a red wire in neutral. Neither switch has a ground. I think this was set up so you could control the fan and the light with separate switches, but this particular fan only has wires for one connection (you control it with a remote) so I only need to have one switch hooked up.

So my question is, how to I connect all this? If red wires are going into the neutral part of my light switches, does that mean I connect the white wire on my fan to the red wires coming out of the ceiling box? Do I connect the yellow (appears to be hooked up to the light switch that I want to use) to the black wire on the ceiling fan? And what do I do about a ground? Can I screw a grounding pigtail into the junction box, even though there's no existing grounding screw? Do the switches need to be grounded, and if so how do I do that?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-14, 11:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 515 Votes on 485 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your switches are fine as they are since they are attached to a metal box.

At the ceiling you connect the white from the fan to the bundle of whites.
Don't use the red bundle of wires.
Now you have a switched orange hot wire and a switched yellow hot wire.
Connect the black fan wire to either of those two switched line.
If you are switching the light also.... then the blue light wire goes to the other switched hot wire.

As far as ground at ceiling..... there was no ground wire run since the wiring is in conduit. You should be able to put a green ground screw in the back of the box. If not.... fasten the ground wire(s) to the box with any available screw.

Old 06-01-14, 11:44 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is the box rated for fan use? If it is it will have mounting posts not mounting ears and use 10-24 not 8-32 machine screws.

Your colors indicate conduit. The conduit is your ground. There should be a tapped 10-32 hole in the box. A green ground screw goes there and all grounds are pigtailed to the screw.

If you pull the switches out of the box and give us a better look at what is connected we can give more accurate help. If the yellow wire is connected to the switch for the fan then the yellow wire goes to the black of the fan and the white of the fan goes to the group of whites that are connected together. The orange is probably for the fan light (blue) but it may not be connected to a switch. I can't see from your picture. In any event you don't need it because the fan has no blue.
does that mean I connect the white wire on my fan to the red wires coming out of the ceiling box?
NO. A red is always an ungrounded conductor ("hot") never a neutral (grounded conductor).

Old 06-01-14, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I did exactly as you recommended and it works great! Thanks for your help!

Old 06-01-14, 09:48 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Glad you got it. Thanks for letting us know.