Kitchen ceiling light and back porch light randomly die at same time

Old 06-01-14, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen ceiling light and back porch light randomly die at same time

I have been dealing with this problem for a while now, but really want to try to fix it. About a year ago, my Ceiling light in my kitchen randomly went out. It has 4 long bulbs and I replaced them at this time and still no luck. I notice that evening that the porch light (the porch is just outside the kitchen, accessed at back door of kitchen) also went out, replaced bulb, and no luck here either. I checked the breakers and none were tripped, but tried resetting them as well. All the outlets and other fixtures in the kitchen work as well as the GFCI outlet under the porch light. Nothing else in the house quit. Is there something else I should look for? I was told by some people to replace the GFCI outlets in my kitchen with standard outlets and was told even if they are working, that they can cause these problems. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-14, 01:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 521 Votes on 491 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It sounds like a wiring problem and it could be at one of the locations that is failing.
Is the kitchen light and back porch light switched from the same junction box ?

Turn the breaker off that controls the kitchen and porch lights and see what else goes off with that breaker. Now that you know what else is on the same circuit.... you know where to check for problems. Your problem will be at the switch box for the lights or whatever feeds it.