Questionable wiring of old light fixture

Old 06-04-14, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Questionable wiring of old light fixture

I'm about to replace a working light fixture--just for updating purposes. When I removed the old fixture, only one wire was connected. There are two available wires, both of which are white. The white wire from the fixture was connected to one of these. I'm assuming the black wire from the fixture had loosened and completely disconnected at some point. The old fixture was working up until the time I removed it How do I determine how to properly connect the new fixture?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-14, 11:24 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Are you saying there are only two wires at the ceiling? Are they cloth covered?

Old 06-04-14, 11:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's called a switch loop. One of those whites should have been taped with black tape.
Going to need a volt meter to sort out if the main wires where run to the switch or to the lamp first.

Mod note: The O/P sated only two wires at the ceiling. It is not a switch loop unless there are two blacks he isn't telling us about.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-04-14 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-04-14, 01:03 PM
Yes, there are only two wires. They are both white. They are not cloth covered. They appear to have a normal rubber type coating.

Old 06-04-14, 01:23 PM
I think I'm good now. Used a volt meter to determine which wire was hot. Thanks.

Old 06-04-14, 01:24 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The simple answer connect the two wires that are there to the two wires of the light. There should not be two white wires at the ceiling unless there are two blacks. It will work but only a 50%chance it will be connected with the neutral to the shell of the lamp holder. Neutral not connected to the shell of the lamp holder is a safety issue. I would be more comfortable if you first told us all the wiring at the switch and posted a picture of the ceiling box. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html