new ceiling light fixture, blown fuse, now not working

Old 06-06-14, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new ceiling light fixture, blown fuse, now not working

I replaced my dining room pendant light. I blew a fuse when I was replacing it and I was able to flip the fuse box to get the other things on the same fuse back on. Once I was done with the install, I found the new fixture won't turn on. Can I fix this?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-14, 11:00 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Sounds like you have a breaker box and reset a breaker not that you have a fuse box and turned the fuse box upside down.

Did you check the connections at the ceiling box and switch to see if any were loose? If the switch connections were back stabbed did you move them to the screws? Did you redo all the wire nut connections? If the light came with those fake wire nuts that have no spring inside did you throw them away and use real wire nuts?

You did turn the breaker off before changing out the light didn't you? You did connect the light exactly as the old one was connected didn't you. You didn't change any connections at the ceiling box did you?

Old 06-06-14, 11:09 PM
yes, the breaker box thanks! It was fairly simple. Just had to connect the neutral and how wires and put the ground wire under the green screw. All those connections were tight. I had turned the power off, but needed to do something else (multitasking) and turned the power back on. I forgot I turned it back on and when I was putting the mounting plate on, there was a spark and the other light went off. I flipped the breaker and it came back on, so I was hoping there wouldn't be any problems. I turned the power off, completed the install and when I went to turn the light switch, nothing. The light doesn't come on.

Old 06-07-14, 09:18 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I forgot I turned it back on and when I was putting the mounting plate on
Been there, have the T-shirt. It sounds like the power comes in at the switch. If you have two blacks on the switch and two or more whites connected only to each other then the switch is where power comes in. Using a multimeter or test light you need to check each black for 120v. (A non contact tester won't work.)

Old 06-07-14, 09:26 AM
What if there was only one black and one white?