HID 100 Watt (M90) Metal Halide Ballast Questions

Old 06-07-14, 03:55 PM
Received 84 Upvotes on 79 Posts
Exclamation HID 100 Watt (M90) Metal Halide Ballast Questions

My apartment complex was converted to LED back in March 2014 and I was able to get a hold of one ballast and lamp (Of course I got a busted cap and a castor lamp)
I got for the price of shipping an empty Stonco FloodPak and a GE Multivapor M90 Lamp. After all of these months I am finally getting around to trying it (I bought a new capacitor from eBay) and I think I wired it correctly as I had to replace the capacitor and I did not have a socket at the time I received the ballast but the FloodPak fixture has a 4KV pulse rated socket. So I replaced the capacitor and wired in the socket and a grounded power cord but I am nervous about plugging in the fixture (Fearing that I wired it into a direct short) as I tested the hot to neutral and I get about 8 Ohms (So I think the ballast is bad??, or I wired it wrong?) I get the open circuit reading from hot to ground and from neutral to ground

I am a newbie when it comes to HID ballasts so I don't know if what my meter is telling me is wrong or not (If the ballast is good or bad or I wired something wrong)

The ballast is an Advance/Philips 71A5380 with two primary input taps of 120V/277V I am trying to use the 120Volt tap
also the post top fixtures were also wired using the 120V input tap

PS: I believe the ballast and ignitor (The capacitor is obviously bad) to be in working condition as the post top fixture was illuminated the night before

Thanks

Attached Images    
Old 06-07-14, 11:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,147 Upvotes on 3,724 Posts
8 ohms from 120v tap to neutral sounds normal.

Put a 5A fuse in the hot line and plug er' in. The fuse will blow before anything is damaged further.

Old 06-10-14, 04:45 PM
Question

OK I finally got around to plugging it in I plugged it into a switched receptacle and I then went and turned on the switch (Yes I am a wimp when it comes to electricity)
and the Metal Halide lamp fired up on the first pulse of the ignitor and for a 100 Watt lamp it is bright. Thanks for the reassurance that it would not blow up on me

Now that I know it works I have a question about the UV output of the lamp

The lamp I am using has many warnings about UV and eye and skin damage and I obviously do not want any of that. I believe the glass of fixture blocks most of the UV radiation? I think I have the FloodPak Medium model but I am not totally sure as the model is not any markings on the fixture except "Use 150 Watt M102 Lamp Only" (That warning was for the original ballast as I got the fixture empty and I installed my M90 ballast)

Thanks

Old 06-10-14, 09:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,147 Upvotes on 3,724 Posts
Mercury vapor tubes are what are used in tanning beds.

Where are you going to use this fixture ?
Certainly not near your head as a reading light

Old 06-11-14, 03:57 AM
No not a reading light
I am going to use it as a general room light (If I decide to use it at all)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: