Ceiling Fan Humming Noise

Old 06-16-14, 01:58 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Humming Noise

Recently as in yesterday, I installed a new 42 inch ceiling fan in my bedroom to help with air flow during the hot summer months, however there seems to be a small detriment in the quality of the fan. Namely, whenever it's turned on, there is a low frequency humming noise coming from what appears to be the motor.

I've provided the link to a short Youtube video in which I've tried to capture the sound onscreen, but it's sort of hard to hear over the microphone noise and the whirring of the blades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WqyeEA6dmQ

You might have to put on headphones and turn the volume up to hear it. I promise you the video does not have any scary popups.

Some other details: there's no fan certified box in the ceiling, just a metal one. Also, the fan isn't grounded but that's ok since it's remote controlled. There's no dimmer switch for the motor, just a dimmer for the light (which sadly doesn't work, the dimmer function I mean).

Now I have read reviews on this largely no-name fan that have stated that there's no audible noise other than the air whooshing. So I'm a little concerned. Are there any other possible reasons for the humming noise?

Old 06-16-14, 03:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You are right, the sound is undetectable. But I can't hear anything above 2Kh, so if it is high pitched, I missed it. Most noise in ceiling fans comes from cheaply made armature/winding combinations. Since it doesn't have a name, I can't vouch for it.

Not sure why you didn't install a fan rated box. Fan wobble can bring that fan down at most inopportune times. Remote controlling a fan isn't an excuse for not grounding it, so strike two.

Old 06-16-14, 04:25 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well with all due respect, the fan is very sturdy; there's no wobbling or any sort of flexing that may indicate that the fan is going to fall. I mean the fan itself appears to be well-built, it's an all metal casing which screws to the ceiling and whatnot.

So the hum may most likely be attributed to the motor, which means there's nothing I can do to reduce or eliminate it? Is that what you're implying?

Oh and you can't hear sounds above 2000 hertz? Ouch.

Old 06-16-14, 05:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,050 Upvotes on 3,633 Posts
We had a thread here a month or so ago when the box came right out of the ceiling at a son's mothers house.

Unfortunately some fans hum. I installed two high end (as in expensive) fans two weeks ago that were both extremely loud. I was shocked at the hum from a quality fan. Sometimes the ceiling resonates and it's not the actual motor making the noise.

Old 06-16-14, 05:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Selereth, just remember the weakest point of your installation can't be seen. I don't doubt it feels solid and hopefully will give good service. As Pete says, some fans just hum. In addition to motor problems, some fans with light sconces, or tulips will hum due to the vibrations between the screws and the glass tulips. Placing a rubber band around the contact point will usually eliminate that.

Yeah, gunfire takes its toll on hearing. I operate our sound system at church and need a pink noise analyzer to "see" feedback since I can't hear it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: